Why a can light in today's environment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I look at can lights, and many of the 'names' have this great beam and 4-5 hours of burn time.

However, with lights like the Intova Ultranova, and many other fine handhelds, why is the preferred light still the can light?

* Model# ULTRA
* LED: 1 CREE Q5 – 220 lumens
* Battery: 6AA (not included)
* Burn time: 7 hours
* Variable power: full/30%/strobe
* Switch: magnetic tail
* Material: aluminum
* Depth rating: 400 feet/122 meters
* Beam angle: 14 degrees
* Dimensions: (7.9 x 1.9) inches/(20 x 4.8) cm
* Weight: 1 lb 1.2 oz

Reading this thread - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/technical-diving-specialties/369523-canister-lights-one-why.html revealed that many of the can lights have only 4 -5 hours burn time, so hauling the heavy can and light doesn't seem to make sense, when so many handhelds produce so admirably.

The Ultranova was released not all that long ago.

That being said, a lot of the sidemount divers are starting to use them instead of lugging cans around. They still won't punch quite like a 21w HID will... Given the option now, I would have taken 2 Ultranovas over my 12w LED can. I still like the can, but it's more hassle.

So since it doesn't pack the punch of a 21w HID I wouldn't want it in the Great Lakes or any other murky ish waters, rivers etc etc. In a cave, sure why not.

One of the reasons that I like my can light is for the goodman handle. The handle allows me to keep my hands free during the dive. Also, the punch of a good HID is hard to beat.

As far as cave divers go we are not using the ultranova except for backups. It does make a great primary for cavern dives but lacks the punch needed to really appreciate a caves beauty. If my primary crapped out before a dive I would use the ultranova and still do the dive but I would miss a lot of cool features. Bottom line is lights like the ultranova are fantastic, but you wouldn't get the same effect going through a section of cave if you had a good 21w or 35w.

LED has come a long way and for most divers I would have to believe a LED will do just fine. HID produces a very bright, natural colored light but it has it's drawbacks, principally the battery power requirement.

I look at can lights, and many of the 'names' have this great beam and 4-5 hours of burn time.

Many of the people lugging can lights around value the reliability of tested designs over the performance of the cutting edge.

Two weeks ago I proudly toted my new Intova Ultra Nova into Little River, only to have it flood on the second dive and reduce to a faint, intermittent blinking cry for help. My Dive Rite 10W HID can light and trusty old Photon Torpedo have never let me down.

I carry a primary and two backups because I don't really trust any of them. But a company focused on price point -- and the Intova's is undeniably great -- is going to make different engineering tradeoffs from one primarily concerned with other qualities, and that's the light I *really* don't trust.

it's worthless as a primary without a goodman handle IMO

plus I don't trust Intova to make a light that works underwater

The Intova in an Oxycheq light sock is surprisingly comfortable and stable, but pretty much glued to one hand or the other for the duration of the dive.

Reactions: Jax
So, if someone made an adjustable goodman handle for handhelds, they might have greater use?

Yo, any entrepreneurs paying attention?

The Intova in an Oxycheq light sock is surprisingly comfortable and stable, but pretty much glued to one hand or the other for the duration of the dive.

that also makes it no good for me. how bright is this thing though? is it pretty focused?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom