Why a Back-Inflate BC Instead of BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no substantive reason that you cannot add a quick release to a hog harness, other than offending the DIR crowd...wait, that might be a reason to do it!

The failure point argument is silly; since there is essentially zero weight loading on the straps once in the water, chances of a quick release failure are pretty slim. Remember that backpacks, designed to carry heavy weights up over mountains in remote country, ALL use plastic quick releases on load bearing straps, in particular, the hip belt which carries most of the weight. For the ultra-paranoid, there are SS quick release buckles available.

The argument that quick releases are not needed has some truth to it; it's not difficult to learn to don-doff a hog harness. In my rescue class I was required to remove both the victim's gear and my own while towing and providing rescue breaths. I did it in a hog harness, but I had to skip breaths; you only have 5 seconds between breaths, and I can't get out of my hog harness in the water, while keeping one hand on the victim, in under 5 seconds. It's easy with a single quick release.

(In a "real" rescue situation, I would simply leave my gear on while assisting the victim, and if the victim was wearing one, I'd cut it off)

The reason I have not added one is because it's simply more comfortable diving without one. The hog harness essentially "disappears" while diving, and anything that adds bulk or folds in the shoulder straps would interfere with that. I'm sure you could find a place, maybe way down near where the strap goes through the plate, that a quick release would add minimal bulk.

The real beauty of the BP/W set up, one that can't be truly duplicated with a back inflate BC, is the weight distribution of the steel plate, uniformly placing the weight between the two sources of buoyancy; your lungs and the wing.

If you dont want to add a complete break to a harness you can add a webbing loop to get in/out.

Something like here:

uk.rec.scuba : UK Diver

That'll give you an extra 6-8" of webbing to get in and out of without actually cutting the harness. Or you can just put a break in it.

I really dont buy the failure point argument at all either. I've never seen or even heard of a clip failing underwater and on land i dont see it as an issue - i dont plan on hiking wearing my kit.

I dive a one piece without a loop or break but it takes me longer to get into and out of than my old BCD with clips.

I really dont buy the failure point argument at all either. I've never seen or even heard of a clip failing underwater and on land i dont see it as an issue - i dont plan on hiking wearing my kit.

Although it is possible for a clip to fail due to stress from wearing on the surface, the real problem with it is if a tank or weight belt falls on it, or it gets stepped on.

I also do not see how quick releases make it easier to get in or out of the harness. To me it would be a pain to be unclipping and reclipping buckles all of the time. It is just easier to slide in the harness.

I find it far quicker to undo a clip than to half empty a wing, contort my body and squeeze out whilst floating.

Certainly i can do a BCD with the usual 3-4 plastic clips up and adjust far quicker than i can get into my one piece harness and do the crotch/waist strap up. I still use a one piece but i am wondering why i dont just put a loop in to make getting out far easier.

Okay, newbie question.....after reading all this, why would anyone use a standard BC? Hopefully there are some great reasons because I just bought my own. It's pretty much the same as the one I've used in classes so I'm comfy with it. However, I never used a back inflate or BP/W.

I think the jacket style BC is more familiar to most who have worn life jackets, and the vertical position at the surface, at first blush, is easier to maintain. However, in viewing past threads, it looks like if the harness has a crotch strap and you don't overinflate the wing, you won't be pushed face-forward on the surface.

The funny thing is that I've never seen anyone don or doff a BP/W, and with the discussion here, it begs the question: can anyone post a video showing how to do it? Also, adjusting the various segments of the harness to get a proper fit would be really helpful.

After having dove backplate and wing I would never go back to a jacket style wing. I believe they are the most popular because the big manufacturers (except the big H) all push the jacket style.

As for adjusting your harness, and removing BP/W please see the link below. I found it quite helpful in getting my BP/W adjusted correctly - especially the height of the BP/W.
Equipment Images

Also deep sea supply makes some excellent quality, affordable backplates. I got mine there any I'm very satisfied it. Tobin frequents this board, if you give him a PM he will answer any possible question you could have about BP/W's.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/

Don't know about other back inflate BCs, but the Zeagles have interchangeable wings which switch out easily.

Ya I was going to say that the Zeagle Tech and the Zeagle Tech Pac have a plate that works for doubles and singles, with very few pockets (my tech pac doesn't have any). and the whole set up is easily interchangable (no tools needed), well ok maybe a quarter or similar coin or shaped item

After having dove backplate and wing I would never go back to a jacket style wing. I believe they are the most popular because the big manufacturers (except the big H) all push the jacket style.

As for adjusting your harness, and removing BP/W please see the link below. I found it quite helpful in getting my BP/W adjusted correctly - especially the height of the BP/W.
Equipment Images

Also deep sea supply makes some excellent quality, affordable backplates. I got mine there any I'm very satisfied it. Tobin frequents this board, if you give him a PM he will answer any possible question you could have about BP/W's.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/

I was definitely planning on ordering from there. The pix are a big help. So here's the question...it's been sort of answered. Since there is one buckle, this is the only adjustment point. Do you undo the buckle and loosen the harness to don and doff? If so, is it like tying your shoes where you have to retighten each point...shoulders, etc? Does the tension sort of keep everything in place? I'm not sure if I'm being clear, but I'm just trying to not only gauge how difficult the thing is to put on and remove, but also how easy it is to adjust, and if that adjustment stays once you get it all figured out.

It all boils down to personal preference. I have a Zeagle 911 BC that I use for both singles and doubles. To switch the BC over from singles to doubles (or vice versa) takes me about 10 minutes. I don't have an issue with tanks shifting mainly because the zeagle is designed to use 2 different methods of mounting doubles...and one involves installing a backplate on the BC, which is what I do.

For me, I like the idea of being able to exit the BC easily (i.e. quick releases). I do have a BP/W setup...but rarely use it. I guess to each his/her own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom