why a 32 mix standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
(0.75 *((120/33)-1)/0.79)*33 = 82 ft or 25 meters

Oops, I just realized that this is inconsistent. If I'm counting O2 as narcotic, then .79 is the wrong divisor. It should be 1, which means that the narcotic depth is actually only 65 fsw.

It's been a while since I did these calcs...this is educational, even if I'm screwing it up :)

EDIT2: Ack....that article that Monk Seal linked has the following formula:

Formula: END = [((1 - F He) * surrounding_pressure * 10) - 10]

Which comes up with 17.27 meters or 56 ft.

Now I'm all confuzzled

EDIT: He says that the formula above that comes up with 56 ft is wrong. Moral: read, don't skim :)

cmalinowski:
Like decompression sickness, we can't be sure if shaking a dead chicken over you before the dive will improve or hinder your chances of being hit by either.

Dana and I were wondering why we saw fewer and fewer chickens on our morning runs in Cayman. Now we know. The Tech I curriculum sure has changed in the 8 years since I took it.

I wonder, though. Is it shaking the chicken over the head, or all of the running you do chasing it that offers the protective benefits? <g>

Cameron

I'm fairly certain that clipping off a chicken to your D-ring wards off DCS.

SparticleBrane:
I'm fairly certain that clipping off a chicken to your D-ring wards off DCS.

We have a rubber chicken with a bolt snap connected to it at our shop. The game is to try to clip it to somebody and see how long it takes them to notice. :p

CameronMartz:
...I wonder, though. Is it shaking the chicken over the head, or all of the running you do chasing it that offers the protective benefits? <g>

Cameron
Silly question. Exercise is overrated and just a fad... like the internet. It's the dead chicken. <G>

Okay, okay, I'll exercise more.

Chris

DIR-Atlanta:

Also, 32% is a key component for creating so-called "standard gases". All the standard GUE mixes except 30/30 can be created by topping pure helium with 32%, so if you are operating a fill station you can set things up to do a continuous blend of 32%, and then make everything else from that (including "plain old Nitrox"). This is a very cost effective way to run a fill station (allows you to drain your oxygen and helium bottles close to empty before refilling them). In particular, it allows maximum utilization of your helium, which helps keep costs down.

This is the most intelligent reply and explanation that I have seen.

IANTD used to have a similar procedure with EAN 36 as well, for similar reasons.

From a dive store perspective, it will bank whatever most of their customers ask for. I know a store that used to bank 36 but which has switched over to 32 due to the change in demand. That saves the staff more time and work, when they can simply fill from the banks.

Soggy:
Oops, I just realized that this is inconsistent. If I'm counting O2 as narcotic, then .79 is the wrong divisor. It should be 1, which means that the narcotic depth is actually only 65 fsw.

It's been a while since I did these calcs...this is educational, even if I'm screwing it up :)

EDIT2: Ack....that article that Monk Seal linked has the following formula:

Formula: END = [((1 - F He) * surrounding_pressure * 10) - 10]

Which comes up with 17.27 meters or 56 ft.

Now I'm all confuzzled

EDIT: He says that the formula above that comes up with 56 ft is wrong. Moral: read, don't skim :)
Huh,

Formula: END = [((1 - FHe) * surrounding_pressure * 10) - 10] is Ok.

Mix 35/25, Depth 36 m

(1-0.25)*4.6*10 - 10 = 0.75*46 - 10 = 24.5 msw which is 82 fsw

The wrong ones are:
END = [(FN2 * (Depth + 10))/ 0.79 ] - 10 (only oxygen narcotic)
END = [((1 - FHe) * (Depth + 10))/ 0.79 ] - 10 (oxygen only taken in one part of equation)

I think my END formula was wrong, and yes I took only N2 narcotic. I got the idea.

Anyway folks, that was not a troll!... :)

Thanx.
Yener

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom