Why a 1/2" port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freeflyer once bubbled...
1. No swivel eliminates a possible failure point (but I've not seen any incidents of that failing any way)

When the Scubapro Mk 10 came out, there was much wailing over the new swivel turret and great concern over how less reliable this would be than the "old reliable" standard in high performance first stages - the Mk 5. The hue and cry was in fact so loud that Scubapro kept the Mk 5 in production and for a brief time produced the Mk 9 which was a MK 10 without the swivel turret. Of course it was a lot of sound and noise about nothing as I have never even heard of a turret failure on a Mk 10 and it is considered the benchmark in reliability today. It is also one of the most copied reg designs in history. Now, that is a MK 10, not an Apeks but I am equally confident the turret on the Apeks reg will be just as a reliable.

It's nice to talk about theoretical failure points but it's a mistake to let imaginary threats run your life or your gear configuration. The turret does not pose any additional risk and it does allow more flexibility in hose routing and can reduce stress on hoses that are at legitamate risks for increased failure over time when attached to fixed ports.

2. Everything has the same connection, therefore redundancy is reduced slightly (although if you're reg goes, unless you have a spare, you're not diving that day anyway, unless they have a spare on the boat)[/QUOTE]

This argument is pretty valid as 1/2 ports would require extra items in the save-a-dive kit. I have used Dacor regs with 1/2" ports and it was more a pain than anything else and I never noted a decrease in performance with an daptor and smaller hose. In my opinion 1/2" ports are more a marketing gimic than a real performance booster.

The larger internal hose diameter usable with a 1/2 port will theoretically flow more air for the same reason a 5 inch fire hose will flow more water than a pair of 3 inch hoses. However it is not real relevant as the flow possible with a standard hose is more than enough.

And if you want to talk about potential failures, the higher flow rate (assuming it existed) in excess of what you need even at depth, would be a concern as it would allow a faster free flow if the first stage fails and would result in more air loss in the time it takes to shut down the valve.

I do not agree with the comment that the larger diameter will slow down the air and help prevent freeze ups. The physics of the situation just do not support that claim.

IzzyTahil once bubbled...
sorry to go off topic but can anyone tell me where i can order some 1/2" plugs?
Those can be often found on eBay.

RichLockyer once bubbled...

.... but my point was that Apeks and everyone else who uses a different size fitting claims that it is for better performance/breathability......

The 1/2" hose (on the Mares at least) isn't for better performance. It's the hole in the bottom of the port - that the adapter blocks - that optimizes the performance. The adapters I've seen are all brass, and hence thicker internally than the SS Mares hose. Open one up and check it out if you get the chance.

RichLockyer once bubbled...
...any difference in performance attributed to the different port design would fall under the category of "viewable on a breathing machine but imperceptible to the diver"... certainly within recreational depths.

Try 20 PSI......... probably not noticable on an easy dive. Donating your alternate/octo to a freaked out diver at 100'..... I'd notice it.

BTW, Mares offers a 7' hose for around $30 street price.

Todd

Back
Top Bottom