Whose teeth are these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't lost any of mine... they're still in my mouth. However they do look a bit like my incisors.

Doc

Interesting thing about the teeth are they have curves that work against each other.
The cone shape should also give some direction

These teeth look a bit like they came from a Hogfish or Hogsnapper. It is actually a wrasse found in the southeastern waters of the US and Caribbean. Hogfish teeth don't have the bands or rings like those in the photo. Male Hogfish have larger teeth than the female and they protrude at an extreme angle. Alcina also seems to think the teeth in the photo are from a wrasse.

The photo specimin appears to be from the same jaw on opposite sides of the head. I would venture to guess the maxillary jaw. The photo creates the illusion that these were opposing teeth on opposing jaws. I think that Scuba_John may have thought that these were upper an lower teeth of the same side.

It is even possible that two different fish from the same species are displayed. The two jaws do not appear to be the same size...even though the teeth seem to be the same size.

Larry Stein

I was going to guess at a Wrasse, I know I have seen them and the Hogfish seems to be pretty close. Pretty hard to tell without a scale bar. Do they have hogfish in WA?

The photo creates the illusion that these were opposing teeth on opposing jaws. I think that Scuba_John may have thought that these were upper an lower teeth of the same side. Larry Stein[/QUOTE:
That is what I was thinking but your thoughs have changed my mind I think that you have a better idea on what they appear to be, and in looking at the picture they do appear to be of different sizes.
John

how big are they? Could you compare them to an object in size such as a penny?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom