Who's Seen a White Shark in Nor Cal Waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AKmountaineer

Contributor
Reaction score
All the recent discussion about GW sharks has fueled my curiosity and made me reevaluate my usual areas in Bodega Bay. I was wondering, how many of you have come across white sharks while routine (no cage) diving in northern CA? What were the conditions when you encountered them, and what were their behaviors like?

FWIW, I have a dive buddy who saw one on a night dive in the Channel Islands. Aside from the attack at Point Lobos and the poor guy who lost his head up north, I've never heard of any sightings up here.

Certainly, there's more experienced people on this board who, I'm sure, have a story or two.

I've never seen on while diving but in the late 70's I had a POS 36' boat that broke down (needed a jump) in seas as calm as glass while salmon fishing at the Cordel Banks (about 90minutes in the boat NW of Bodega Bay).
I had a buddy on another boat several hundered yards away that told me hed be over in about a half hour to give us a jump.
While we were waiting a large sea elephant swam by about 25' off the side of the boat at a slight angle.
About 2 minutes later the biggest GW I've ever seen swam by in the same direction and angle as the elephant seal.
It was several feet under water and it's dorcel fin was completely submerged.
It was so close that when it came by that when I stood near the rail (which was knee high) I shivered in fear.
It was the best feeling...one that I've never had again...I was so scared my back tingled.
It was 2/3 the size of the boat and much fatter than a cow.
I figure it was 24' when using the boat as a scale.
I've never seen on on TV that looked anywhere near that size.
About the only thing I've seen that came close was that phoney shark at the entrance to Universal Studios in FL but that one was proportioned different.
The one I saw had more of a belly on it.
Andy

coreypenrose:
FWIW, I have a dive buddy who saw one on a night dive in the Channel Islands. Aside from the attack at Point Lobos and the poor guy who lost his head up north, I've never heard of any sightings up here.

Certainly, there's more experienced people on this board who, I'm sure, have a story or two.

When did the attack at Pt Lobos occur?

Read Marco Flagg tell the story:
http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~bz050/HomePage.gwsattack.html
And the shark tell his side: ;-)
http://diver.net/bbs/messages1/139.shtml

Also, a commercial ab or urchin diver was hit at the Farallones
several years ago (and survived).

That said, encounters with the landlord by divers are quite
rare, and usually he just cruises by. I've met three folks
who have claimed to have seen him (two in Monterey, one
in the Channel Is.). I've got almost 1000 Monterey dives,
and haven't, and hope I never do, at least not when I'm in the
water.

Chuck Tribolet:
... I've got almost 1000 Monterey dives,
and haven't, and hope I never do, at least not when I'm in the
water.

I would think that a photographer, especially macro, after 1000 dives has probably been buzzed at least once and maybe even 10 times, although not through the view in the ground glass frame however.

coreypenrose:
Wow, that was all happening pretty recently too. I have a really bad memory.

Corey,

There is a big difference between "bad" and "selective" ... :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom