Who's going to the GA Dive Show Nov 30th & Dec 1st? @ Conv Ctr HOW ABOUT A SB HH???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at the exhibitor list... Georgia Dive Show

12 exhibitors. (as of today)

1 t-shirt company
3 equipment vendors (Mares, Aqualung, & Silent Diving).
DAN & Scubaboard.

The rest are travel /resort companies.

are there going to be any more equipment vendors? dive shops? sale items? etc?

with HOG / Edge being somewhat local to Atlanta, that we'd at least see them there. :idk:
Dive Rite is 'just down the road' across the FL state line.
so is Zeagle. :idk:

I might come if there are some other real vendors there. but $16 for 3 equipment vendors and a t-shirt company?

I'll check back and see if any other companies have signed on.
I wish them luck with this.. .... :thumb:

EDIT: while I was typing my reply, I see that Hog replied and will be there now. :thumb:

we need to plan a Friday night party

Not having been to a dive show before, may I ask if it's typical to charge admission? I'd be glad to show up and poke around, but that isn't worth $16 to me. No more complimentary tickets?

Not having been to a dive show before, may I ask if it's typical to charge admission? I'd be glad to show up and poke around, but that isn't worth $16 to me. No more complimentary tickets?

it's pretty simple... convention space is EXPENSIVE. (not matter what type show it is).

You either pay for it with expensive booths for vendors or ticket sales. (or both).

You've got to have lots of good vendors to get people to show up. especially to drive in from out of town and pay $16 bucks. I think if they only have 12 vendors (including travel vendors), then attendance will not be "strong".

With less and less people having "extra income for diving expenses", diving is down from past years.

Like I said above, convention space is EXPENSIVE. So with lower volume, they have to raise ticket prices (compared to your local "Home improvement show at your local convention center that costs $5-$7 to get in).

I think $16 is high for a 'retail show with only 3-4 equipment vendors'. (my personal opinion)

but compare it to

Our World Underwater
--------$65 (3 day ticket)
Beneath the Sea -------------$25/day and up

NOTE: these are HUGE shows. with LOTS of vendors. guest speakers, dinners, lots of workshops, etc. so not really a fair comparison.

As noted above in first post also, they were giving away free tickets to the ATL show. That didn't last long. (or doesn't work anymore) :idk:

Baltimore Dive Show gives their tickets away free also

it's pretty simple... convention space is EXPENSIVE. (not matter what type show it is).

You either pay for it with expensive booths for vendors or ticket sales. (or both).
. . .

Well, okay, if that's how it works, then that's how it works. Still, I don't see the logic in asking the consuming public to pay for the privilege of serving as an audience for vendors' sales pitches (whether as such or in the more subtle form of friendly informative chat). The benefit is, like, 99% the vendors' and only 1% the consumers', since we consumers can do pretty much the same shopping without attending the dive show.
Now, if there were, as you also said some shows include, "guest speakers" and "workshops," then the diving public would be getting a benefit for their admission ticket. I would be interested in guest speakers, workshops, and such.

I've been to trade shows of the type that are limited to those who are actually in the trade, and of course they charge admission, since everyone is there to do business and make contacts. But again, I don't see the logic in charging consumers who are there only to shop. What store in its right mind charges you just to browse their wares and chat with the owner?

Well, okay, if that's how it works, then that's how it works. Still, I don't see the logic in asking the consuming public to pay for the privilege of serving as an audience for vendors' sales pitches (whether as such or in the more subtle form of friendly informative chat). The benefit is, like, 99% the vendors' and only 1% the consumers', since we consumers can do pretty much the same shopping without attending the dive show.

The advantage to the consumer is having a huge grouping of vendors to choose from to visit. (typically more than the 12 for this show).

of course the vendor has the same advantage of having it's "target audience".

Now, if there were, as you also said some shows include, "guest speakers" and "workshops," then the diving public would be getting a benefit for their admission ticket. I would be interested in guest speakers, workshops, and such.

typically the shows with Guest speakers, workshops, etc... you either pay ala-carte for the workshops or buy a more expensive "package deal" admission ticket. You won't get that with a $16 ticket.

I've been to trade shows of the type that are limited to those who are actually in the trade, and of course they charge admission, since everyone is there to do business and make contacts. But again, I don't see the logic in charging consumers who are there only to shop.

prob the reason that a lot of people don't go to shows anymore. that and with the internet you can find out what you want without having to travel to the show. (opinions will vary on how that equates though).

What store in its right mind charges you just to browse their wares?

Sams Club, Costco and a few others seem to do rather well at it. But again they seem to have what their target audience wants.

We'll be getting off the plane from Bonaire on Saturday...there's probably about a 0.000000001% chance we'd make the show...

Elena and I will be there. It should be fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom