Who's Going to the Cozumel Invasion ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a 6lb steel backplate right now with a DiveRite Transplate and an Oxycheq Mach V wing for OW. I have a sleeve attached to my backplate with my SMB. I really don't want to break down my setup for travel. It is well balanced and with a HP100 I don't have to add any extra weight in salt water. I know that only AL80's are available so I might stick a weight pocket to the cam strap to counter balance the additional buoyancy.
What are you doing about traveling with your gear configuration? How much weight is allowed on a carry on and would it be worth it to just pay the extra and leave my rig as it is? The last time I traveled was a couple of years ago when they were still allowing two bags to be checked and I was able to put my gear in one bag, clothes in another and stay within the weight limit. I put my regulator and computer in my carry on bag in case my gear bag got lost.

I dive a 6lb steel backplate right now with a DiveRite Transplate and an Oxycheq Mach V wing for OW. I have a sleeve attached to my backplate with my SMB. I really don't want to break down my setup for travel. It is well balanced and with a HP100 I don't have to add any extra weight in salt water. I know that only AL80's are available so I might stick a weight pocket to the cam strap to counter balance the additional buoyancy.
What are you doing about traveling with your gear configuration? How much weight is allowed on a carry on and would it be worth it to just pay the extra and leave my rig as it is? The last time I traveled was a couple of years ago when they were still allowing two bags to be checked and I was able to put my gear in one bag, clothes in another and stay within the weight limit. I put my regulator and computer in my carry on bag in case my gear bag got lost.

A lot depends on the airline. Continental allows for one free checked bag up to 50 lbs. You can add an additional bag $30ish the last time I flew to Cozumel. I'm not recommending trying this but I've gotten away with 74 lbs. (DPV battery ++) in my carry on suitcase, but they obviously didn't weigh it, fortunately! I believe the max allowable weight is 40 lbs. for the carry on case.. You also can have a backpack or computer case as carry on.

I usually put all my regs, can light, computers, mask and metal items that could potentially push me over the 50lb limit in my carry on case. My BP/W and the rest I check and use a TSA approved lock.

A lot depends on the airline. Continental allows for one free checked bag up to 50 lbs. You can add an additional bag $30ish the last time I flew to Cozumel. I'm not recommending trying this but I've gotten away with 74 lbs. (DPV battery ++) in my carry on suitcase, but they obviously didn't weigh it, fortunately! I believe the max allowable weight is 40 lbs. for the carry on case.. You also can have a backpack or computer case as carry on.

I usually put all my regs, can light, computers, mask and metal items that could potentially push me over the 50lb limit in my carry on case. My BP/W and the rest I check and use a TSA approved lock.

Remind me not to set near you on an airplane.:shocked2: I don't want the overhead bin door opening and your bag landing on me. Or worse, the bin collapsing from all the excess weight.

Stay out of first class on the way to the Invasion and you should be safe :wink:

If I only check one bag dive gear comes first so clothing will have to be minimal or optional. :D

If I only check one bag dive gear comes first so clothing will have to be minimal or optional. :D

I was thinking the same thing..LOL:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Load all gear. weigh it. add clothes as needed.

Clothes packing list
8 bathing suits
4 shorts
5 T shirts
Skirt
Maybe a bra.. nope, got the bathing suits for that! LOL
Sandals, boat shoes.
Bar of all purpose soap for washing clothes.
what's clean is PJ's

Back
Top Bottom