Wholly Mackerel !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No doubt about it, as SeaYoda's pics show. I thought he had taken a pic of a 'Cuda once before(at the jetties) - I guess it could have been someone else though.

No, I've not seen a cuda in person till now. The depth, proximity to shore, and it not being shiny had me fooled. The teeth made the cuda thought cross my mind but it just would not register because I was in denial :D. I felt a little eery about how he was swimming and giving me the "eye" but he never acted aggressive so I just took a picture of his "smile". He went on about his business and I went on about mine - another happy encounter with an "alien" species. It still creeps me out that they come in so close.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Those three-headed hammerheads are pretty rare, it sucks you didn't have you're camera. I've only seen one on a single occasion, it wasn't around long though... a Giant Antartic Seahare gobbled it up with a quickness! ...and again, no camera :(
Oh, please...I saw a whale shark off the beach. Just ask MikeJacobs, he saw it to...What an awesome dive that day! :D Oh, wait, maybe he was with me the day we swam with the dolphins. :D

Thought the "makeral" was a joke too, as I recognized it right away as a barracuda also known as MR. Barracuda. :D They are common down here off the beach.

SeaYoda:
No, I've not seen a cuda in person till now. The depth, proximity to shore, and it not being shiny had me fooled. The teeth made the cuda thought cross my mind but it just would not register because I was in denial :D. I felt a little eery about how he was swimming and giving me the "eye" but he never acted aggressive so I just took a picture of his "smile". He went on about his business and I went on about mine - another happy encounter with an "alien" species. It still creeps me out that they come in so close.

I saw two of them the first time I dove the Miss Louis over in Destin. They were both 4-5' in length. They just kind of eyed us from a distance. I swam at them to get a better look, but they jetted off a hellovalot quicker than I could ever keep up with...

On more than one occasion, we've had them at our anchor line around 15' of water(right at our safety stop depth) when I've been diving out of Orange Beach. They would just sit there motionless, watching us. Never made me nervous in the slightest(even when I had fish strung to me), but I always thought they were friggin cool!

Scuba_Jenny:
Oh, please...I saw a whale shark off the beach. Just ask MikeJacobs, he saw it to...SNIP
Well, I never actually SAW any of the whale sharks Jenny's seen almost every time we've shore-dove together, but she always tells me about 'em after the dive. One of these days, tho...

(POW, to da mooon, Jenny lol)

I was surprised last week by a very large cuda in about 3' of water off LBTS north. I was actually removing my fins when he surprised me, only about 10 feet or so away and just hanging there studying me. They have this cold, fishy stare ya know...

Saw a large taurpin just a couple of minutes beforehand... maybe they were playmates.

Oh, and they come in very close at the LBTS pier, as we know from diving it so much last year before it re-opened.

I've heard of them being at the Miss Louise. That's close to shore but not this close. I guess you never know what's under there until you look. I used to snorkel the beach and never saw anything like him. Then I started diving and haven't done much diving along the beach - I thought I'd seen everything there was to see. Most of the beach is pretty dull because it has no shelter for critters. The pilings are obviously a different story.

Back
Top Bottom