Who wants to Discuss Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you have kids - I don't know which goes first the mind or the hair.

There is a reason we forget.

When you have kids - I don't know which goes first the mind or the hair. // DD
>>>

When you have squids...who cares?? :eyebrow: // WW
Coupla pics from Bari Reef last December

Bonaire_12_07.jpg

Squids_at_Bari_Reef.jpg

Jim - I think the girls went on Larry's - It was the dive where we found the octopus with the shiny can that they missed due to horseback diving!

Now THAT sounds challenging.

Ah...Bonaire....it's all about shore diving. It doesn't get any easier or more convenient. Wherever you want and whenever you want. My favorite is probably Oil Slick. We will go back!

Thanks for all of the information on Larry's Wild Side. I did not do it either time I was there because the shore diving was so good. It is good to have it as an option. My main interest in trying it was for the prospect of seeing some pelagics.

Having a guide for shore diving in the area also sounds smart due to the limited ingress/egress points.

Thanks for all of the information on Larry's Wild Side. I did not do it either time I was there because the shore diving was so good. It is good to have it as an option. My main interest in trying it was for the prospect of seeing some pelagics.

Having a guide for shore diving in the area also sounds smart due to the limited ingress/egress points.

If you want to see big sharks up close come to NC in the summer. We have sand tiger sharks on a lot of our wrecks that pretty much ignore you, often getting within a few feet. On one occasion I had an 8ftr join us for a 2 man-1shark buddy team. Bonaire is all about the little things...with some big tarpon during the night dives.

I have been looking at doing a trip to NC some time soon. What area do you think is better. I have read that the best diving is between Cape Hatteras and Cape Lookout. Do you agree? It would also be cool to dive the Queen Anns Revenge but it sounds like access to it is limited.

I think that the juveniles and macro life on Bonaire are amazing but the big guys are starting to call my name.

Night diving in Bonaire is amazing. It is alot of fun having the tarpon swiming with you on the dive and being on a dive at night with you buddy and no one else is really cool. I bet that the sand tiger sharks are awesome. Hopefully we can get out there early this summer on after hurricane season.

Any time from May to Oct is good. Early to mid summer your chances of flat seas are better but we can have glass slick days any time of the year or 8fts seas the next day so you need to be prepaired for rougher water and have a plan B if the weather gets to rough. Before Aug your chances for a hurricane a lot less but the later you come the warmer the water. While in the middle of hurricane season, my month of choice is Oct. The seas are as warm as they are going to get and the air temp has cooled off some.
The diving above Cape Lookout gets more sparce and the water tends to be a good bit cooler, even in the summer. If you want to hang on the beach or fish the outter banks is a better choice but for diving I would suggest either the Morehead City or Wilmington area. Warmer water, more dive ops and a better chance of seeing the sand tigers. The weekend charters do fill up early so if you can plan a few weekday dives your chances of finding an open charter are better, otherwise you need to book early.

As for the QER well...this is one of those dives I take exception to. Yea plenty of history but the security BS is way over the top. This wreck has been lying in 30 ft of water being beat to death by heavy surf and hurricanes for 200 years. Short of explosives there is little a diver can do to hurt it but it is bouyed off, watched by the coast guard like it contained nuclear material and you can't even touch the wood if you do dive it. For the $500 it cost to dive it, I can find a lot better dives to do. If I want to dive in 30 ft water with vis in the 5 to 10 ft range and look at old rotten wood, I have a local quarry that is a lot closer and cheaper.

If you want to see big sharks up close come to NC in the summer. We have sand tiger sharks on a lot of our wrecks that pretty much ignore you, often getting within a few feet. On one occasion I had an 8ftr join us for a 2 man-1shark buddy team. Bonaire is all about the little things...with some big tarpon during the night dives.

I wouldn't say they ignore you. When you're the first group down to the sand, they seem to come like a puppy being called. They don't bother you, but they definitely come see what you are. That was a bit uncomfortable on the first dive...

Back
Top Bottom