Who travels with a spare mask and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Masks are crazy easy to lose overboard. I've seen them go flying overboard while removing a hood when the mask was left on the forehead. I've seen them "jump" off of the top of the tank in what appears to be almost a gravity defying move. I've seen them get washed overboard. While that sucks, it sucks all the more to then have to miss a dive or two. IMO a diver should ALWAYS have a spare with them on a dive boat. Whether or not you bring a second mask with you on the dive is more personal preference. But bringing just one mask on a trip is asking for disappointment. It will eventually bite you.

I use the DGX mask, having a second in my dive bag is an inexpensive insurance.
I got the same one from DGX for 30$ for spare and it ended up replacing my 100$ primary

I suppose there could be two options 1) do you take a spare mask in your dive bag 2) do you take a spare mask with you on the actual dive.

If I'm doing casual rec, a spare stays in my bag. If I'm doing tec, it's in my drysuit pocket. On the off chance I have a problem with the primary, I really don't want to deco blind.

Option #1 AND Option #2 for me! (typically 4 masks on a trip) 3 'regular' masks plus 1 small frame sized emergency mask in BC dive pocket for underwater emergencies.

Option #1 AND Option #2 for me! (typically 4 masks on a trip) 3 'regular' masks plus 1 small frame sized emergency mask in BC dive pocket for underwater emergencies.

And I thought that "I" was fanatic about spares for everything. I almost have two complete dive gear bags, but not 4 masks!

Cheers -

Why 3 "regulars"?

I have 2 Hollis M1 masks. One I'm wearing and one in pocket on dives. I do a fair bit of solo diving so backup mask is a requirement and I was told by a very good instructor to have both masks the same as it would make it easier if I lost my mask and needed to put backup on underwater.

I never used to but after having some ear problems last June, which ruined a trip to Lanzarote, I bought an IST Pro-ear mask. I'm so glad I did because I had issues again in August on a trip to North Sulawesi and that mask, as well as some local ear drops, allowed me to continue to dive (and N Sulawesi is a lot further away and more expensive to get to than Lanzarote!).
I don't really like wearing the Pro-ear mask, esp compared to my exellent Hollis M1, but I'll be taking it with me on every trip now just in case. I don't think I'll take it as back-up on a dive though as it's awkward and donning and clearing the mask properly underwater could be problematic, as well as possibly a bit pointless by that point.

As many people who replied already, I need a prescription mask and I always carry as backup an older mask with bit less correction, but better than use plain glass

I keep a low profile spearo mask in my bc. Have lost masks on dives and a back up is always nice to have if your strap pops and your primary is gone especially in low vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom