Who to dive with in Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kchelton

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We're looking at going to Thailand in July. Our travel agent has suggested the Sheraton Grande hotel. Has anyone stayed there or dived with the H2O Sportz in Phuket? We are most interested in the diving operation being convenient to where we are staying. We're also open to suggestions as well!

Thanks!

Sheraton is very nice, but: far away from the departure point of the boats, about 1 hours each way. H2O does a lot of the diving from closer to the Sheraton, but the diving is not as nice there.

I would therefor recommend you to look for a hotel closer to the pier like Patong, Karon, Kata or even e.g. the Evason in Rawai.

Steven is exactly right. First sort out where you will stay; for divers, the resorts at the northern end of the island, while luxurious, are inconvenient. Stay someplace towards the southern end of the island. Then you will be spoiled for choice for dive ops nearby.

Another vote here for Phuket Scuba Club. Kevan and Chantal are great! Chantal (or maybe both) posts here as Ringo.

A small, professional, friendly outfit that will make you feel at home and arrange whatever kind of diving you need. Shore dives, longtails, day trips, liveaboards....

I have dived with them twice now and will again.

Their website is:

http://www.phuket-scuba-club.com/

Thank you! That is all very helpful information. I've just posted a new thread asking about Bo Phut, so if you know anything about that area I'd appreciate your help as well:) We have planned our trip as far as Bangkok and are trying to find the best place to go from there to spend a week diving.

Thanks again - you've all been very helpful!

kchelton:
Thank you! That is all very helpful information. I've just posted a new thread asking about Bo Phut, so if you know anything about that area I'd appreciate your help as well:) We have planned our trip as far as Bangkok and are trying to find the best place to go from there to spend a week diving.

Thanks again - you've all been very helpful!

You mean the resort on Samui? You should know that Samui diving is pretty much the same as diving from Koh Tao (same sites), so you will need to travel further by boat from Samui than you would if you stayed on Tao itself.

If you want the "best" diving when you leave BKK, go to the Andaman side rather than staying anywhere in the Gulf. However, keep in mind that July is part of the "green" season on the Andaman side (when we get most of our rain) and at that time the very best of Thailand diving--the Similan Islands--is severely limited due to rough seas. Even so, the diving on the Andaman side is generally considered superior to that in the Gulf, even during the monsoon season.

If you stay at The Sheraton on Phuket, H2O Sportz have been around for years and do have a good reputation. This hotel establishment is located 45 minutes drive north from Chalong where all the daytrip boats depart. So it would be convenient for you to dive with the DC there in terms of organization and packing equipment (if you need to rent) etc. Otherwise Thom and Limbo thanks for the kind words about the club.

Another vote for Phuket Scuba Club. There is also a nice hotel right across the street and the hotel is right on Kata beach, also nice shore diving right there.

We dove with Sea Bees and loved them. Great boats, wonderful food, and, oh, the diving was top notch!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom