who to dive with in June - Hollywood Beach area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skurzdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone, I'll be staying at a resort in Hollywood Beach from 6/12-6/18 and am looking for recommendations on who to schedule a dive with. I won't be able to travel too far to get to a boat, as I won't have a car. Do you of any reputable dive shops in the area, or I'm also open to meeting a group that will take on an extra dive buddy. I've got just over 10 ocean dives under my belt, so I'm not looking for anything too advanced or deep. Any comments are appreciated.Thanks-

there is much in the way of dive shops actually in hollywood - i think Coastal Marine, Divers Direct, and Divers Cove are the only ones actually semi-close by taxi or whatever. Gold Coast is a great shop but need a car to get there.
there are a couple of good beach diving spots off Hollywood beach. the Yellow brick road comes to mind. we're talking 15-20 ft and lots to see -- beach bikinis included :angel: although not sure i'd recommend a night dive though

South Florida Beach Divers (Hollywood, FL) - Meetup & Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup
both groups are worth checking out.

not sure what i'm doing that weekend besides going to a polespear clinic

Actually YBR can be a great night dive. :)

As are the Perry Street Rocks and Seatech Ledges - short cab rides further up the beach.

Plus one for Gold Coast Scuba Meetup Group. You might even find someone in the group who will offer a ride...BHB anyone?

Thanks for the info you've provided so far. I figured I'll have to take a short cab ride. I scoped out the Gold Coast Scuba Meetup Group, pretty cool and made me wish I lived in the area so I could join. Another thing, I'll probably have to rent gear because this is our family vacation and traveling with 2 car seats doesn't allow for hauling scuba gear along!!! Thanks again.

the only reason i was hesitant about suggesting ybr or lbts as night dives was it was stated only 10 ocean dives - -although if you dive it during the day would be okay to go back at night.
Bilsant - you asking for a ride up there or offering one? :wink: i want to get back to the bridge just diesel is expensive.

Beach diving. And what others have suggested..
Coastal Marine has more local knowledge than any other local shop. I would start there. You can rent gear there.
Gold Coast has the numbers and regularly schedules dives. Maybe join and suggest a dive at the YBR?
Perry Street is good, but the smash and grabs make it less inviting..

the only reason i was hesitant about suggesting ybr or lbts as night dives was it was stated only 10 ocean dives - -although if you dive it during the day would be okay to go back at night.
Bilsant - you asking for a ride up there or offering one?
03.gif
i want to get back to the bridge just diesel is expensive.

Work's been a challenge to my diving time over the past couple of months. When I have been able to get free for a dive up that way (less often than I like, as of late), I'm usually hauling another diver or two. If there's room in the car, you're certainly welcome.

Hopefully things will calm down in June and I can get some decent diving in. Watch the GCS for dives that I sign up for and give me a holler.

I stand corrected: You're right about the limited experience vs night diving issue. But GCS has done some great night dives for beginners at those very locations.

Thanks for the continued info, i appreciate it. Based on my google skills and what you've suggested, I"ll probably take a taxi. I'll also keep watching the GCS to see if any dives work with my schedule. We're staying at the Westin Diplomat, which I guess is on the south end of the hotel zone from what I've gathered. I'll also have to check if they have a shuttle. Since I'm traveling with my wife and kids, I doubt I'd be able to work in a night dive. I'm hoping to be able to do both a shore dive at LBTS and find a boat going out to a wreck.

Can you at least pack a dive flag and snorkeling stuff? There is not much to see that far south, but at least you can get out in the water and play around. The first reef is 100+ yards offshore. on google maps, satellite view, you can see the reef where the water goes from light to dark blue.

The Westin Diplomat rocks -- stayed there on my wedding night. there is a good sushi bar across the street, not cheap but decent food.

all 3 of the scheduled BHB dives i've already had plans that day :(

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom