Who takes care of the locals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just thought I'd chime in here since I live on the mainland, dived off Oahu (with Gabe) and Key Largo (with Conch Republic) this summer and dived in Mexico two years ago.

It's a given that diving in Hawaii is expensive. Heck, everything in Hawaii's expensive. Everyone on the mainland knows that. But it was also expensive for me to dive in the Keys and in Mexico. For me, and for most of us who live on the mainland, by far the major expense of a dive trip is travel and lodging. The cost of a two-tank or four-tank dive day is a fairly minor expense when stacked up against the total bill of the trip. Sure, it adds up but in the overall scheme of things it's just not a factor.

So I don't presume to speak for everyone, but personally I don't care if the locals get some sort of break on the prices. If I were a local, I'd be looking for a way to save some dough, too, and joining a club like Gabe's would be a no-brainer. Not that it ever comes up, but if some local guy on the boat mentioned he was getting a cheaper rate because he dives a lot with the operator/captain/instructor/divemaster/whatever, I'd be jealous. Not because he gets a break, though, but because he gets to dive a lot.

for those of you who dont know Aloha Scuba Divers caters to the locals. though they are based in Wahiawa. they have a no thrills prices, which means you pick up your gear or tanks meet the divemaster/instructor where ever then you are responsible for getting the gear/tanks back.so their everyday prices are slightly lower. they also do a club dive every saturday night/ free, unless you need to rent gear. 45 bucks for rental.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom