who solos at night?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry:
Does any one else solo at night?

Is anyone as afraid of a sharks as I am during night solos? :)

i love solo night diving , my favorit night dive was at lake simcoe , start of the dive was 03:30 am ,end of the dive was 06:00 and to my surprise there was already dawn , fog was laing on the surface , last thing i expected ,was light at the surface.
i was using the 21w hid from salvo , was being focused on the beam so i didn't realyzed the change around me ,i have to say this lake gets dark very soon , during day you'll need at about 60 -70 feet a light .

sharks i have seen just from distance " got exided ",could not go deeper had to wait for the instructor , the water conditions was pretty mulky, so when the group was gathered the was already gone ,that was my only encounter i had with sharks.

the exit area ,lake simcoe at 06:30 am
click here [/url]
[url=http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=63542][img]http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/thumbs/lake_simcoe_.JPG

Not too much choice. Wife/buddy was not about to get up at midnight or 4am to do night dives behind Scuba Club Cozumel. It was great being the only diver in the water in Cozumel.:)

awap:
Wife/buddy was not about to get up at midnight or 4am to do night dives behind Scuba Club Cozumel. It was great being the only diver in the water in Cozumel.:)
In front of Scuba Club Cozumel is where I did my first ever solo night dives. It was only intended to be a late afternoon dive, but it was so calm and peaceful that I just couldn't bring myself to get out until 2 hours later when it was pretty dark. After that I was hooked.

In Maui I don't do many night dives, but do often get up early and start a dive about an hour before sunrise. I rarely see another diver on these dives, even at the very popular Ulua divesite.

I find that on solo night or dawn dives I use my light much less than when diving with a buddy. Using either no light or just a 0.4watt 2AAA light leaves my eyes better night adapted. I somehow feel more in tune with the surroundings when I'm not blinded by my own light with my vision restricted to just the beam of my light.

I love solo night diving, To me it's a very relaxing time, it's as if I'm the only thing in the water, "cept for the critters, kind of a "One with the universe" feeling.

80% of my solo dives are night dives but only freshwater. Just love to switch my lite off at 100 ft and stay in the deep dark for couple of minuts. Awesome feeling and also good training to perform drills at night with no light..

I like the feeling of being in the dark, too, but I shield my light. Do you really switch your light off? Have you ever had it not fire back on?

Dive-aholic:
I like the feeling of being in the dark, too, but I shield my light. Do you really switch your light off? Have you ever had it not fire back on?

Yep I do really switch everything off:) First couple of minutes gauges are still glowing but than you have just darkness. I never had problems with lights (always wear backup of course) and if I do it is always good chance for extra training of emergency situation.

I dove Ginny Springs ballroom solo at night a month or so ago. It was alot of fun, being that it was my first solo night dive it did kinda freak me out being in the cavern alone and switching my light off.

Also, I usually only cover my light in a situation like that, thoererizing that if something does happen to me, at least I do have a bright light for someone to look for.

But that night it was just too tempting and pieceful, it was allmost like I was the only person in the world.

When I go off the back of the boat at night alone, I don't mess around in the water column - it's head for the bottom. Then I have an hour to get ready for the long ascent in the dark. I'm not all that worried, but I don't go blasting my light around looking for company either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom