Who, precisely, are we not permitted to criticize on this board?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before we take it back to th original post, can someone please post the cliff notes version, I got to page 3 and questioned why I was even wasting my time reading all that.

Well, it didn't get any better after that first few pages.

Predictably, a Canadian provided a lucid and accurate summary (except for the second to the last sentence):
"Member wants to know who on the mod staff he can criticize. Is told anyone of us.
Other members come in to support OP. Also some members come in to support the moderators.
Someone made a joke, thread devolved.
Pauldw wants to start over again. I encourage him to do so, as this is the right thread in which to do that."

Then in what could perhaps most charitably called a gross failure of reading comprehension (but it really wasn't that), we got this supposed summary for you, that appeared to also be an attempt at humor:
"Summary; a few offended SB members repeatedly insult the entire SB moderating team, some of whom laugh it off with really lame cat jokes. When the thread gets off the topic of insulting the mods the offended members get even more offended."

A Star Wars fanboy thought that he was the main point of contention:
"I’m the guy they are complaining about. And I’m not even a mod."
While he is a point of contention, he's certainly not loathsome, which is more than you can say for the world's first cetacean troll.

This was the most intelligent, honest, and on point post in the last couple of pages (not that it had much competition), and in a sense it summarizes the thread also:
"Or you do your jobs, clean out the nonsense from the thread and that will keep it on its original premise without the nonsense coming form the SB staff. Better yet, learn to live up to your policies and apply them to all other threads. What I find disturbing here is the staff's attack on the OP and the amount of ridicule and chest pounding taking place here.
I am in no way making a statement about the validity of the OP's claims in any way, I am merely and specifically making comments and complaints about how the staff are conducting themselves here regardless of the validity of the OP's claims. I am extremely disappointed and surprised to say the least."
This poster's suggestions would require more integrity than exists here, though, so it's essentially pissing into the wind.

I was hoping that the cat jokes would be the wind-down and end of this thread. Any point that could be made now in response to new incomers has already been made.
It is midnight here. They are sweeping the floors and the lights are up. A few of us are just now heading out.
Also: who on earth is idocsteve?
Mindbleach.

I'd rather watch the Warhammer thread than his logo...

I am in no way making a statement about the validity of the OP's claims in any way, I am merely and specifically making comments and complaints about how the staff are conducting themselves here regardless of the validity of the OP's claims. I am extremely disappointed and surprised to say the least."
Oh well.

You really should [Opinion] find another place to 'be'. [/Opinion]

I have no idea how U of A football got involved in this thread but I approve. Bear Down Arizona!

Odd fact: A bell recovered from the battleship USS Arizona resides in the University of Arizona student union. It is rung for any home sports victory by the U of A except against any team also from Arizona. Also for the commissioning of any Navy or Marine Corps ROTC cadets from the university. I think they also ring it for some other causes as well but don't recall (hey I graduated in 08 I forgot some stuff lol).

Well, it didn't get any better after that first few pages.

Predictably, a Canadian provided a lucid and accurate summary (except for the second to the last sentence):
"Member wants to know who on the mod staff he can criticize. Is told anyone of us.
Other members come in to support OP. Also some members come in to support the moderators.
Someone made a joke, thread devolved.
Pauldw wants to start over again. I encourage him to do so, as this is the right thread in which to do that."

Then in what could perhaps most charitably called a gross failure of reading comprehension (but it really wasn't that), we got this supposed summary for you, that appeared to also be an attempt at humor:
"Summary; a few offended SB members repeatedly insult the entire SB moderating team, some of whom laugh it off with really lame cat jokes. When the thread gets off the topic of insulting the mods the offended members get even more offended."

A Star Wars fanboy thought that he was the main point of contention:
"I’m the guy they are complaining about. And I’m not even a mod."
While he is a point of contention, he's certainly not loathsome, which is more than you can say for the world's first cetacean troll.

This was the most intelligent, honest, and on point post in the last couple of pages (not that it had much competition), and in a sense it summarizes the thread also:
"Or you do your jobs, clean out the nonsense from the thread and that will keep it on its original premise without the nonsense coming form the SB staff. Better yet, learn to live up to your policies and apply them to all other threads. What I find disturbing here is the staff's attack on the OP and the amount of ridicule and chest pounding taking place here.
This poster's suggestions would require more integrity than exists here, though, so it's essentially pissing into the wind.

Please show me where the staff attacked the OP.

From Advice leaflet - Bullying and harassment at work: Guidance for employees - Acas Mobile

Bullying may be characterised as offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour, an abuse or misuse of power through means intended to undermine, humiliate, denigrate or injure the recipient. Bullying or harassment may be by an individual against an individual (perhaps by someone in a position of authority such as a manager or supervisor) or involve groups of people.

Taking this thread off to cats and sport seems to be undermining the original concern.

The original concern was answered. A follow up from OP was addressed.

Staff did not take the thread to cats and sports, other Scubaboard members did.

My question was please show me where the staff attacked the OP.

I'm willing to accept that other members chose to move the conversation along and the Staff having already answered the OP, then responded playfully with the members that were acting playfully.

I will sleep upon this and consider addressing same in our Staff meeting.

I got to around page 6 then got bored.

Forums need moderating for the same reason newspapers are moderated by editors. Liability for what’s published.

I used to moderate a diving forum for BSAC, we shut it down because of the rising cost of defending ourselves against what was posted.

My view: if you use a forum expect to be moderated at some point (I have), and accept the moderator is always right. Otherwise don’t use the forum.

I think the forum is great!! Very informative. It gets traffic from all over the world. Bringing in a myriad of opportunities for divers of all experience levels. I'm on other forums and find the moderation to be neither too strict nor too lax. Well I am the notorious BRO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom