Who nose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I absolutely think you should be able to open your eyes and not hold your nose before becoming a responsible diver. And regarding a buddy, the issue is not whether your buddy will be able to aid you if you lose your mask ... the issue is, if you have your eyes closed and are holding your nose with one hand, will you be able to aid your buddy? Again, the above thoughts are personal opinion only.

This is not a personal attack, Zeldah. I think you're getting some great opinions here. But please take a good look at both sides of the buddy equation, not to mention protecting your own well-being.

I am with you HighDesert :) I do not know enough which is why I am on this forum to learn from those who are already doing! It is good sound advice and I understand it so will work until I have mastered that skill. Just going by the instructor I had who didn't seem to have a problem with it. Good to get all sides of an argument :D Thanks Of course I am hoping that I don't have to help my buddy at the exact time my mask falls off :errrr:

What if it gets kicked off during a dive (fairly common)?

Fairly common? Really? Seeing an angel fish is "common". Peeing in my suit is somewhat common. This just seems like fear mongering. How common would you say it is? Once in every 3rd dive? 5th? 100th? 1000th? How often do you have your mask kicked off? No offence, but in my experience this is more in the realm of, as we say, in the "highly unlikely event that".

Fairly common? Really? Seeing an angel fish is "common". Peeing in my suit is somewhat common. This just seems like fear mongering. How common would you say it is? Once in every 3rd dive? 5th? 100th? 1000th? How often do you have your mask kicked off? No offence, but in my experience this is more in the realm of, as we say, in the "highly unlikely event that".

Good question Mjatkins! I was thinking I should be carrying a spare mask to deal with all the times it gets kicked off. Is that what most divers do - carry a second mask?

@vladimir, I hope that truly was your last word on this topic.

You don't understand how an instructor evaluates mastery of a skill, nor how that reflects the standards of my training organization. One day you may be in a position where you can assist an OW student in overcoming a problem. Might be this problem, might be a different problem.

For now, the salient point is, as you noted in post #30 in this thread:
I am without a doubt unqualified to teach a scuba class
-kari

Good question Mjatkins! I was thinking I should be carrying a spare mask to deal with all the times it gets kicked off. Is that what most divers do - carry a second mask?

No. I'm not saying that carrying a 2nd mask isn't an idea that has it's merits. But in my experience the vast majority of divers (recreational divers at least) do not carry a 2nd mask.

No. I'm not saying that carrying a 2nd mask isn't an idea that has it's merits. But in my experience the vast majority of divers (recreational divers at least) do not carry a 2nd mask.

I didn't think so - I read a thread on the board yesterday about how often people lose their masks and doesn't seem as common as you peeing in your suit :D

Thanks though, your post made me smile!

Zeldah

Thanks - you know I wish that my instructor had told me that, he said that it was fine to not open your eyes and that most people don't, especially with contacts but I do understand from you that it seems like we should all be able to do it. Tech question here - it says in Padi that the human eye cannot focus underwater so how much can you actually see anyway. Never did open my eyes underwater as a kid. Did try once in the pool last week for a few secs abd was a total blur and made me really nervous and uncomfortable and didn't think from the instructors words that I needed to keep trying.

When I squint I can see shapes and blobs but can't really make out my gauges.
The important part is that I CAN see my ascent rate monitor and can make out enough to see that I'm at 20something feet or 30something feet depth at a glance. If I hold my gauge really close to my face I can read everything perfectly, although squinting makes you see in tunnel vision.
Squinting actually makes it easier to see IMO. It keeps a tiny layer of air between your eyelashes and the water, but unfortunately you can't see clearly because, hey, you're squinting :D
Supposedly those who are far-sighted can see underwater better than those with normal vision, I haven't tried this however even though I'm far sighted. :shakehead:

As for my training agency, we train as NAUI. Our situation is a bit different than what you'll find out of any other NAUI class though. My school is actually the University of California Santa Cruz.
We hold our cert program as a PE class, it's part of the recreational dept. So because of that the school gives us the budget to run for the entire quarter (10 weeks for a quarter, 3 quarters a school year).
We do 8 weeks of pool and lecture along with skin dives and checkout dives on the weekends. Anyone's allowed to tryout for the class as long as they pay the rec. dept fee (if not a student) and complete the swim test

Since we're NAUI, our instructors have to make their own course agenda to meet minimum guidelines NAUI sets for their cert cards, although we set ours a lot higher. PADI on the other hand has a more rigid class structure they give their instructors, helps keep things uniform no matter where you are.

Not that agency matters though, it's the instructor that makes the class.

Fairly common?
You are correct, "fairly commmon" is a misstatement. It is reported on occasion, though. My mask has been dislodged by a fin before, and it has slipped off my head during a backroll entry. What I should have said is, it is too common an occurence for it to be a catastrophic event if if happens.

Not that agency matters though, it's the instructor that makes the class.

I hear you there - I didn't really feel comfortable with my first instructor but really liked the second and learned far more as he was willing to take time to listen. Funny thing is when you sign up you have no idea what to expect nor really know a good instructor till he drops you in the water :D

You are correct, "fairly commmon" is a misstatement. It is reported on occasion, though. My mask has been dislodged by a fin before, and it has slipped off my head during a backroll entry. What I should have said is, it is too common an occurence for it to be a catastrophic event if if happens.

Yeah but it wouldn't be catastrophic if I could hold my nose :rofl3:

Only kidding Vlad I am with the program and will do my damndest not to drown while learning the new skill!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom