Who nose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zeldah, i'm a total nose-holder when jumping into water. i got lots of water in my nose at first when i took my mask off.

but - then i sorta 'got it' and learned to hold a bubble in my nostrils. when you take your mask off, blow some slow bubbles out your nose and then hold one almost coming out. this bit of pressure keeps water from going up your nose. it becomes second nature when you're able to be quiet in the water (like not jumping in, but while holding still or swimming calmly). so give that a try, too.

Thanks Babyduck that nose bubble sounds like a good idea ... kinda like blowing out a snot bubble I assume :D I guess the trick is keeping it there when you breathe back in! I found that I could get maybe one breath every so often where I did not swallow water so I have to build on that. Thanks for the suggestion and for admitting that you had an issue .... seems far and few between!!

your nose & mouth are separate, you just keep breathing in & out your mouth while holding the pressure steady in your nose. good luck!

What of a diver who simply could not control the nose and had to hold it?

I am not an instructor so I am not sure where the term "mastery" fits in, but I should think someone like this would be at risk of serious injury or death if they cannot operate uw without a mask. Sometimes you just need both hands to do other things.

Do I think they should have their certification withheld? I don't...but I think these people should really consider what they are doing and what could happen. If they don't practice these types of skills...it could kill them one day.
What then of a one-armed diver?

While we are not discussing the one armed diver per se, disabled divers who are not capable of performing the basic tasks on their own are required to dive with a trained buddy who can help them specifically with these types of issues, so really this is a moot point.

OP-

You do not have to like or be comfortable uw without a mask, but you do need to be able to function. As a contact wearer I will not open my eyes uw with my mask off either, but should I lose my mask then I will certainly sacrifice those lenses to be able to surface safely. If I were you I would find a low chlorine pool to swim in and open those eyes until it does not bother you anymore. Probably you will never ever have to...but the point of training is for that one time something happens.

As for your nose...I don't know what the standards say, but I can tell you that not being able to breathe uw without holding your nose can pose issues in a real life situation. If you are not able to close the passage between your mouth and nose try this:

Close your mouth and exhale through your nose, while exhaling rub the back of the top of your mouth with your tongue. Does that shut your passage off?

In order to do that move I have to contract the muscle that closes my palate. Not everybody can do this, maybe you cannot.

In that case I would suggest you think long and hard about diving. If you want to continue and your instructor will pass you, congrats and welcome to the club. However you need to be aware that you have a potential issue. As long as you know about it you should be able to minimize the impact.

Things like not diving in high current areas, or around seals, and being careful of where your buddies are so they can't knock your mask off by accident.

And make sure that you can operate all the gear you need to with one hand.

I don't think it is a deal breaker, but something more akin to a handicap. If I had 1 or both of those issues there are many dives in my log I would not have done...something to consider.

Mostly though you are complaining of something many new divers deal with, and time and practice will make these issues a thing of the past.

Good luck

Thanks Len and you are correct I do not like knowing I passed something but did not really become a safer diver by doing it my way. I am going to mention this board and it's comments to the instructor when I see him again and maybe he can perhaps stress that you should work on this skill and not take the easy way out - even though he was the one that suggested it :no: I will keep working on improving my skills and yes we can go use their pool for free so I will take advantage of that too! Thanks.

Let me must say this to you. When I certify people I base it on more than just whether they met all of the standards. One of my big concerns is overall attitude. This becomes more and more important as the training becomes more intense, but it applies to open water as well. You may need to work on this particular skill, and I suspect it is really just a matter of practice before you get it, but in terms of attitude you get an A+. I'd dive with you anytime.

Let me must say this to you. When I certify people I base it on more than just whether they met all of the standards. One of my big concerns is overall attitude. This becomes more and more important as the training becomes more intense, but it applies to open water as well. You may need to work on this particular skill, and I suspect it is really just a matter of practice before you get it, but in terms of attitude you get an A+. I'd dive with you anytime.

Hey Len - thanks for the support and please know that when you dive with me I will be able to function under the water without my mask. I have spent 2 hours in the hot tub - not all at once though :coolingoff: and using the awesome advice from my new scuba board friends I have been able to snorkel around without holding my nose - oh yeah and I can kind of open one eye. Really thank you everyone for your support, I really want to be able to do this and to that end I have also booked a 2 hour private on Saturday with a new LDS that seems far better. Buoyancy control and breathing here I come!!! Will keep you all up to date with my struggle for "mastery" of the world *evil laugh*.

Hey people - I have a quick question. At the place where I did my classroom and pool work the instructor said that if you hadn't dove open water for 3 - 4 months you have to take their refresher course ($99) as any good dive company you go to outwith that time will not let you dive if you are not up to date. Apparently open nights in the pool do not count. True or false!

most places - false. that doesn't mean a refresher isn't a good idea after a long time being dry, but 3-4mo isn't considered 'out of date'. they are being greedy.

most places - false. that doesn't mean a refresher isn't a good idea after a long time being dry, but 3-4mo isn't considered 'out of date'. they are being greedy.

Yeah I kind of thought so too! I intend to keep practicing in pool on the free nights so that I am out at least once or twice a month but hope to go away to warmer water at least every 6 months for some real diving so thought I might be fine. I think if it was any longer I would do a refresher. Thanks Babyduck for the info :D

Hope this new LDS that I am using on Sat turns out to be a little less greedy !!

Greetings Zeldah no worries the urge to breath water up your nose will pass with practice.
It took me a very dedicated training regiment to conquer my issues.
The initial pool check out was a little rough and required another private lesson or more pool time to pass the requirements.
Best money I spent was to do the one on one practice and that allowed me to become even more determined to conquer this issue.

I have related the story many times and it was very different for me to know that I was going to be ok, but have to "train my brain" mind over matter!
I purposely over weighted myself and asked the instructor not to allow me to ascend only in a emergency.
I went to the deep end of the pool, sat on the bottom, and calmly took my mask off!
For the next several minutes it was a series of coughs / gages / chokes and yes I took some water in but the air kept coming regardless of the sputtering.
I am not recommending this for you but I am recanting this to give you courage to battle this issue and do not give up!

Your mask skills are very important and YOU are able to overcome the issues "Nose Breathing"!
It just takes practice and dedication, when your brain realizes the air is coming form the regulator in your mouth it gets easier.
Once you realize this it is easier to maintain positive pressure in your nose and not suck in water. It can and will happen!
You will do great!
Good luck and keep us posted.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Greetings Zeldah no worries the urge to breath water up your nose will pass with practice.
It took me a very dedicated training regiment to conquer my issues.
The initial pool check out was a little rough and required another private lesson or more pool time to pass the requirements.
Best money I spent was to do the one on one practice and that allowed me to become even more determined to conquer this issue.

I have related the story many times and it was very different for me to know that I was going to be ok, but have to "train my brain" mind over matter!
I purposely over weighted myself and asked the instructor not to allow me to ascend only in a emergency.
I went to the deep end of the pool, sat on the bottom, and calmly took my mask off!
For the next several minutes it was a series of coughs / gages / chokes and yes I took some water in but the air kept coming regardless of the sputtering.
I am not recommending this for you but I am recanting this to give you courage to battle this issue and do not give up!

Your mask skills are very important and YOU are able to overcome the issues "Nose Breathing"!
It just takes practice and dedication, when your brain realizes the air is coming form the regulator in your mouth it gets easier.
Once you realize this it is easier to maintain positive pressure in your nose and not suck in water. It can and will happen!
You will do great!
Good luck and keep us posted.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Hey CamG
You on the bottom of the pool sounds exactly how mine went. Coughing and choking :) I'm doing better by practicing every night in my hot tub. It's getting easier. Like you said it is a mental thing. Lost in my hockey finals tonight and found my concentration not quite there so snorted a few nosefuls tonight :zap: After my two hour private on Saturday I am hoping to be good to go for my checkout dives on Monday. Cheers!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom