Who is interested in a new kind of BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trash:
... this is not correct. Please read the description at:

http://www.mnav.netfirms.com/abcdmin.htm#1

I did read your description and that's the best summary I could make of it....

Basically you move a lever and it sets depth and keeps you there....right? The idea seems simple enough. Part diver (change volume) and part submarine (change density). But in order to control depth you'll either need some kind of depth sensing (because the diver's body will change volume when he breathes and thta will cause him to drift off the set depth). Or you'll need a counter lung or something along those lines. Unless I'm missing something then I don't see how it will simplify buoyancy control at all.... The diver still descends to a give depth, sets his buoyancy and controls fine tuning with his lungs..... right?

R..

Diver0001:
I did read your description and that's the best summary I could make of it....

Basically you move a lever and it sets depth and keeps you there....right?
No. It sets the absolute buoyancy the device produces (usually to make you neutral). Lets say it produces 4 pounds of lift when set, and without it you would sink as if you weighed 4 pounds. So now you are neutral. Lets also say the water is so warm you don't wear a suit. Now you can ascend or descend and stay neutral because your average lung volume stays the same, you add air to your mask when needed and it escapes when it expands, and my BCD keeps the same air volume you set because of its regulator. So depth does not affect your buoyancy. No adjustment is required if you swim over top a fifty foot rock, etc.(except your ears).

Diver0001:
The idea seems simple enough. Part diver (change volume) and part submarine (change density). But in order to control depth you'll either need some kind of depth sensing (because the diver's body will change volume when he breathes and that will cause him to drift off the set depth). Or you'll need a counter lung or something along those lines. Unless I'm missing something then I don't see how it will simplify buoyancy control at all.... The diver still descends to a given depth, sets his buoyancy and controls fine tuning with his lungs..... right?

R..
There is no setting for depth. You are just use to staying at a fixed depth so that your buoyancy doesn't run away on you. That's the problem I have solved.

The things you describe are possible improvements to my BCD to achieve addition benefits. I don't really want to get into a discussion about improvements at this stage. I have received a few suggestions by PM and want to keep it that way for now.

Imaging a whole dive you control with your lungs... alone. tr

trash:
Imaging a whole dive you control with your lungs... alone. tr

I know you don't want to hear from me, but what you're trying to do has been done at least twice already, and both times failed to become a marketable product.

Unless you're independently wealthy and can afford a huge, sustained marketing campaign, your chances are slim.

Physics and finances aside, you're trying to sell to a tiny niche in a market that's already a tiny niche, and already has large, established players.

I have no vested interest in the success or failure of your device, but I hate to see people tossing money into a hole.

Terry

trash:
No. It sets the absolute buoyancy the device produces (usually to make you neutral).

I see. you set the lever and it produces X amount of buoyancy (positive or negative) and continues to produce the same amount throughout the dive regardless of depth.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom