Who here has done a real life CESA and what was your experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One day I'd like to do one as a practice from 100 foot or so (alongside a buddy holding an octo at the ready), just to be sure I could do it. I think I could, but much more chance of remaining calm and avoiding a rush in a real situation if I knew I could.

It seems to me that there is a good reason to have a buddy to practice with - but more for keeping an extra set of eyes on the ascent rate than for the octo... Just don't actually drain your tank before the CESA and keep your reg in. (Unless you want the full practice at the appropriate buoyancy of an empty tank, that is.)

I consider CESA very important skill a I do recommend to practise it. If you are not confident, that you could do it safely, just find an instructor who is willing to practise with you. Few points/ recommendations, if you do it your self (I mean with a buddy). There are solo divers who practise this by them self, but those are generally very experience divers, with an above average diving skills.
1. Use a vertical control line, at least 1/2 " in diameter, buoyed by a surface float and weighted or tied off at the bottom.
2. Keep your regulator in your mouth
3. Practice first from not deeper then 30 feet/ 10 meters of depth
4. DON"T HOLD YOUR BREATH, look up and make continuous "aahhh" sound
5. Maintain normal ascent rate
6. Keep your right hand on the line with your thumb and the index finger forming a ring around the line (don't hold it).
7. When ready, start exhaling, kick off and go, slowing your kicking effort and dumping air from BCD to maintain proper ascent rate.
When comfortable, you could practice from a deeper depth.

I would suggest not setting a limit to aim for, just fot the sake of it. Make it realistic. For instance the 15m I use is a common range I'm diving in with beginners or on a second or third dive of the day. Unless you have a complete failure on the initial descent the situation where this could happen might be on a return leg of a multilevel dive or ascent towards a safety stop when air may have not been monitored as it should. This is probably why the PADI standard changed from 10-12m when I did it to 6-9m as I teach now.

Is it interesting, or not, that nobody that has posted on this thread (and by that I mostly meant not a drill - truly having to get to the surface or otherwise sleep with the fishies) was injured. I know some were mentally scarred - hence lengthy sabbaticals - but is it a case that those that aren't posting aren't here to post, as it were?

Or is the profile of the poster here such that they have typically considered and practised this eventuality and hence didn't get injured? I'm just trying to make a judgement on how dangerous a CESA really is. From the posts so far it sounds uncomfortable but manageable and no-one took a trip to the chamber. I'm just trying to work out what this means.

I think goodive's suggestion for how to practise safely it is excellent.

1. Why did it happen?

I wanted more time with a Pacific Electric Ray

2. What depth?
115'
3. What was your reaction?
I don't recall any reaction, it was a conscious choice.

4. What was your ascent rate?
50-60fpm

5. Did you have to go to the chamber?
no

6. General experience/thoughts/advice/anything else relevant
This was in 1979, as I recall. A 60' free ascent was mandatory for passing the SSI AOW course(Entry level cert at that time). As I worked at the LDS and assisted most classes, we regularly practiced free ascents from 80'. Embolism was the only concern we had at that time and that's easily prevented by maintaining an open airway. During checkouts with large classes, we might do as many as ten free ascents from 60' in a day. I now know why we were so exhausted after those days.

I also did a lot of free diving and could touch 80' on a breath, so I knew it wouldn't be an issue for me. I was diving an AT-PAC at the time and had it slung over one arm. Entered the water to retrieve a spear shaft and spotted the ray when I got to depth. It was just going to be an up and down to grab the shaft, but when I saw the ray, which were pretty rare at that time, I forgot the shaft and just watched the ray and my gauge. As the gauge drew down, I adjusted buoyancy, spit the reg and headed up.

Knowing what I know now, I'd never choose to do it again. But, I know I could. As I tell my students, if you get into the postition where a free ascent is your only option, you've screwed the pooch several times over and should consider another sport.

Boyle's law works.

Actually, fascinating posts, this question has been of interest to me, (why all the thanks for the different posts). To be forwarned is to be forarmed or something like that. A while back, actually a long while back, I read an article in a scuba magazine about stats on dive fatalities (and even with diving solo vs buddy, of course it didn't recommend diving solo), but did note that the factor in dive fatalities seemed to have more to do with PANIC than anything else. So can't help but wonder, for all that made it to surface during an emergency ascent, how many didn't fair as well during such an ascent?

the factor in dive fatalities seemed to have more to do with PANIC than anything else.

The old adage, "Fear kills," applies. Few places is that truer than underwater.

There is no getting around fear - you only get through it. Therefore, mastering fear (fright/flight/fight reflex) is an essential tool. If you aren't confident in your ability to control your panic responses, you probably don't belong in the water and you certainly don't belong in any situation where you can't bolt to the surface.

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

If you had an OOA and needed to CESA during the overhead passage of a large ship that would be a predicament to ponder :hm:, didn't mean to muddy the waters.
Refering back to MagicChickens rescue dive cert post

Last edited:
If you had an OOA and needed to CESA during the overhead passage of a large ship that would be a predicament to ponder :hm:, didn't mean to muddy the waters.

That's exactly why OW divers aren't supposed to be inside anything.

The skills taught in OW training are based on being able to make a direct ascent to the surface at any time.

As soon as this isn't possible for whatever reason (wreck, cave, cavern, deco obligation boat traffic, etc.), the only thing protecting an OW diver is either dumb luck or the deity of their choice, depending on their personal belief system.

Terry

That's exactly why OW divers aren't supposed to be inside anything.

I read the post as saying that a large ship was passing over the diver's head, not that the diver was in an overhead situation.

Back
Top Bottom