Who has the fat-est compact rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
That is right, fatest, not fastest. Rigged with all lenses, batteries, accessories and ready to rock and roll as it would be pre-splash down, what does it all weigh dry and if you know, when wet? Also, if you can, what is it, what accesories, strobes, arms etc..

My FIX90 is right at 12 pounds dry:

1. (2) five inch UCLS arms, (2) three inch arms and (6) clamps
2. GoPro Hero 4 with (2) balls and (1) clamp.
3. (2) Inon D2000 strobes
4. Double handle DIY tray
5. FIX 90 housing with Canon S90 camera
6. Inon UFL165AD fisheye lens
7. Inon UCL165AD macro lens
8. (2) Inon AD lens caddies, one left and one right
9. Focus light on ball in cold shoe (optional, only if doing macro)

Of course I can strip it down considerably from the above configuration, but, I regret, it is indeed a pig :(. Underwater, the weight is not too bad and it handles well, I just count it as part of my lead and trim weight :).

I just got it all back from a major refurbish and was setting it up for dry testing before my next trip in a couple of weeks. Thus my assembling and weighing it and of course being mildly shocked at how fat it has become. Plus I am trying to work out some changes to my tray and GoPro mount.

Sometimes I do not carry either of or both Inon lenses and instead shoot my FIX UWL-04 fisheye lens. It is a 52mm threaded mount instead of the AD bayonet mount so if it is on the camera it usually stays on for the dive.

I am not sure how to reduce the weight, I can make Delrin 150 handles for my tray and perhaps a thinner tray material, hmmm, oh well. My Nikonos III with Nikon 15mm lens, dual strobes and tray with Sekonic light meter was pretty hefty too. So I am kinda used to it. Small cameras do tend to be heavy underwater because they do not displace much volume.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom