Who has NEVER had something stolen in Bonaire?

Have you ever had something stolen in Bonaire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I need to change my vote from No to Yes.

Trip #11 (last month) -- two gallons of gas plus about $7 in parts to repair the fill tube.

Just back from Bonaire last night. This was my second visit and still had nothing stolen. We do follow the SOP for Bonaire, i.e. leaving trucks unlocked with nothing in them, locking safe everytime we leave the room, etc. The biggest problem we had was a group of divers came in from a shop sponsored trip out of the US and kept hoarding the dive shop tanks in their rooms and trucks :confused: ?

I did talk to one gentleman who's truck window was smashed in at 1000 steps. He said he did not have anything in the truck, but had closed the windows and locked the doors. I asked him why he locked the door's and he said it was just habit. Another lady at Witch's Hut had a pair of old shorts taken from the back seat of her unlocked truck the same morning. I'm not sure if it means anything, but I did notice much more broken glass at the northern dive sites this year than last. The regatta was going on while I was there and I saw several police officers downtown directing traffic, etc; but never saw one anywhere else.

Ken

I have been there twice. No problems. As others have posted just use some common sense.

Just returned two days ago from Bonaire (second trip). During a night dive at Bachelor's Beach, our truck had been gone through. My dive buddy had accidently left his underwater camera in the truck and after getting into the water decided not to go back for it. The camera was left, my Raybans were left, his dive bag which contained his dive log was taken. We looked around the parking lot then decided to drive the main road for a couple of miles each way. We found his dive bag, all zipped up on the side of the road. The only things missing were some dive tools (allen and cresent wrenches) and $40 cash. They even left the credit card that was with the cash! We were just happy to get everything else back!

Ok, ok....I voted no here earlier as a smart *****, since I had not (yet) been to the island. However, I have just returned from my first trip there, and I can honestly say it is a beautiful island and I never felt any danger so long as reasonable precautions were taken. All of the islanders I met were quite friendly and approachable, and our group (consisting of 7 travelers in two apartments at Buddy Dive) to the best of my knowledge had no problems with theft. I personally even committed a real bonehead move (don't ask), and what was left out showed up at the front desk of the resort for me. I don't advise anyone try that maneuver for themselves, but it does show there are very good people on the island.

Been there 17 times in 14 years. Next year I get my silver medal.

Dang them all - on my very first trip they stole my heart and I've never gotten it back.

Gave away water and cold beer to fishermen who had their truck break down. Gava bananas to Iguana, gave cookies and trail mix to errant donkeys. Gave some toys to kids in Rincon.

Biloxi Mississippi they stole my instructor manual out of my jeep, Jackson Mississippi they broke my window and stole my suitcase and pistol. Wiesbaden Germany they stole my hubcaps and the rabbit symbol off my car. O'Fallon Illinois they stole my spare tire. Panama City Florida they stole my float and dive flag. Lake Martin alabama they stole my dive flag from atop my head. Montgomery Alabama they stole my lawn mower.

Bonaire - Nah! Only my heart and I'm not sure I want it back.

I think the problem is not petty petty theft from cars--you get what you deserve, but theft from hotel/condos, and the authorities lack of concern. Part of the reason I go on vacation is to not worry about this sort of BS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom