Who do you dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Before joining SB, I had not heard of the DIR concept. The idea intrigues me, and I've read quite a bit about it, including the book, and I've watched some videos.

I've also, when diving, looked for anyone who might be using the DIR approach. I met one diver with BP/Wings, but he wasn't into DIR.

Will I ever see one of you diving, short of taking the DIR-F course? Something I read gave me the idea that perhaps the GUE people dive only with other GUE people. Is that true?

Just wondering :) I'd really love to get to know some of you, and see you in action, other than on a video!

Not true ... I've been diving with DIR trained divers almost as long as I've been diving ... even back in the days when some folks considered me anti-DIR. What they will do ... and it's for purely safety reasons ... is limit your dive profile till they've had a chance to evaluate your actual diving skills. And to be honest, that's not a DIR thing ... it's just prudence.

Don't be put off by the internet chat ... the majority of DIR divers I know are really friendly, helpful people. Most will take the time to dive with you ... if they perceive that you are truly interested in improving yourself as a diver and willing to listen. For the most part, they will start out by talking to you about purely safety issues, like how to be a good buddy ... and progress from there into other safety oriented skills like managing your gas and planning your dive. None of this stuff is unique to DIR ... they just seem to be the ones who have the mindset to think about it.

I'm not DIR, although I have been through the Fundamentals course ... but if you're ever in the Seattle area I'd be happy to dive with you. I could even arrange for you to meet some real DIR divers, like Uncle Pug or some of my buddies who have been through the Tech training. They're real people, and they've had a tremendous influence not only on how I dive, but on how I interact with people who want to learn to be better divers.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

love2godeep:
Something I read gave me the idea that perhaps the GUE people dive only with other GUE people. Is that true?
No, it's not true of all GUE divers. A few maybe, but not all.
love2godeep:
Just wondering :) I'd really love to get to know some of you, and see you in action, other than on a video!
If you are willing to drive a bit to Puget Sound, I'll bet you can find some to go diving with you.
There are several who post in the PNW Orca Bait club forum :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:
What they will do ... and it's for purely safety reasons ... is limit your dive profile till they've had a chance to evaluate your actual diving skills. And to be honest, that's not a DIR thing ... it's just prudence.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oddly enough, if I saw someone with a LP hose wrapped around his neck, I'd probably want to limit HIS dive profile.

Seriously though, if DIR diving is such a self-evident thing, why haven't the main-stream agencies picked up on it. They could market it to the masses, make everyone safe, and make lots of money for themselves.

garyfotodiver:
Oddly enough, if I saw someone with a LP hose wrapped around his neck, I'd probably want to limit HIS dive profile.

As you should, if you are not familiar with either the diver or the configuration.

garyfotodiver:
Seriously though, if DIR diving is such a self-evident thing, why haven't the main-stream agencies picked up on it. They could market it to the masses, make everyone safe, and make lots of money for themselves.

For a number of reasons, not least of which is that a majority of divers really don't want to take their diving to the level that DIR takes it. Really, the mainstream agencies are selling a product that the average consumer wants to buy. I've spent enough time in dive shops to know that they offer week-end "quickie" courses because there's a significant number of people who want to buy them. I've even tried convincing people that these course aren't a good idea, and that they'd be much safer taking a full-blown curriculum ... only to watch them go ahead and sign up for the quickie course anyway.

People don't want to buy "safe" ... they want to buy "easy". Those who sell "easy" are the ones who make lots of money. Those who hold themselves to higher standards, and insist on providing a quality education, are marketing to a minority segment of the available market. It's the consumer that's driving the standards down ... the agencies are just selling them what they want to buy.

There are those outside of GUE who refuse to teach quickie classes. There are those outside of GUE who insist on a higher standard than the RSTC minimums. There are many, like myself, who decided to teach independent of any dive shops, so we can set our own curriculum and teach to a higher standard. None that I know of who took this route expect to make lots of money. That's not the motivation.

Unless GUE lowers its standards (which I hope they don't) they will remain a small part of diving, because they are targeting a niche market ... the serious diver. Which is not to say that all serious divers go this route ... but rather that the majority, who only want easy access to scuba, will not.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As someone new to DIR myself I tend to like to dive with other DIR divers. The simple reason is that I'm still learning and diving with others that have a similar mindset only enforces my knowledge. As I become more competent I will be more than happy to dive with others that don't have an understanding of the DIR mindset. That said probably half of my dives since fundamentals have been with non DIR divers.
As long as you are willing to learn, then I think you will find that most DIR divers are exceedingly helpful. For those of us who practice the principles we are not an exclusive click. As is often the case I find myself in total agreement with Snowbear and Bob's comments. I will also second Bob's invite about coming to Seattle.

BTW - Bob is an excellent instructor. He had both my kids age 10 and 8.5 doing perfect DIR hovers in the pool the other night. Of course moments later they were performing flips and barrel rolls and acting like seal pups. When I turned to see Bob, he was mimicking them in perfect style. The kids know how to make it fun!!!

Bob (Greatful Diver)

I am an instructor who would love to teach independent for the same reasons you do. I know PADI course standards are very strict on what they allow you to teach. Most other agencies you have to be affiliated with a shop to teach for them. What agency do you work with?

lee08:
Bob (Greatful Diver)

I am an instructor who would love to teach independent for the same reasons you do. I know PADI course standards are very strict on what they allow you to teach. Most other agencies you have to be affiliated with a shop to teach for them. What agency do you work with?

Lee - welcome to the board. Bob is a NAUI instructor. He also works independently of any shops.

Right on! Looks like I need to see about crossing over to NAUI.

Since this is the DIR forum, I hesitate to get into discussions of other agencies here. Suffice it to say that with NAUI I have the freedom to include additional material into my classes that is not part of the prescribed curriculum. In doing so I have been influenced by my association with DIR divers, and by my interaction with GUE instructors ... especially the one who taught my DIR-F class (thanks Brando, I was taking notes).

Although I will not be directly encouraging people to go this route, I do plan to expose them to many of the concepts that are the foundation of the DIR program. I think that some will decide on their own to look into DIR training as a way to improve their diving skills ... as I have. So far, my AOW class is structured to prepare my students in that direction, by emphasizing team diving, gas management, buoyancy skills, and proper dive planning as the core of the class. Also, I teach in the same rig I took my DIR-F class in, which in and of itself prompts some questions as to why I dive that way.

I should point out that all of this stuff is compatible with NAUI standards and procedures. It just goes a bit beyond what they define as "minimum requirements". I will also say that I have the support of an LDS that is neither NAUI nor DIR that allows me use of their classrooms and pool. In this regard, I am very fortunate.

Personally, I don't see any incompatibility between promoting the methods and standards of my chosen agency, and introducing people to the concepts of diving that comprise the core of the DIR program. Those that do are looking at it more from a competitive business standpoint (IMO) than one of promoting basic skills and diver safety.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom