Solved: Who am I talking to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lowviz

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
@The Chairman

Dear sir,
Would you consider making dive professionals (DM and above) immediately distinct from 'just divers' on this fine social board? I gain a lot of insight by being able to determine the 'flavor' of the poster and have recently been greatly surprised to learn of their professional status. I find this to be most unsettling.

It matters. You (posters) are or aren't posting as a professional. The unwashed massed don't always know this. Your SB persona does not reflect this as it should. No, we aren't all the same. Professionalism comes with obligations, titles, and transparency.

Show yourselves...

I'd be interested in knowing those who are posting who are "professionals" meaning making a sustainable living (or donated significant parts of life) from the diving industry.

You got me wondering (just that just wondering, especially the last question.... not necessarily asking you directly but generally the forum):

So what is a dive industry professional?
E.g.: Does the computer wizz who never dives but maintains a shop's web presence count? Obviously not in the sense of the OP... But if someone was represented as a dive industry professional, what all might that include?

Maybe someone who is not an instructor or DM or maybe is, but does not mainly work in that line, but makes a living exploring caves or from UW photography?

But then, e.g. the guy who maybe spends as much time diving and picture taking and never bothers to sell one would not not be a professional - right?

If one took the number of professionals that do work at least part time in the dive industry as a 100% baseline and then excluded all those that do not exclusively make their living, sustain their family from that activity, if one excludes those that need a day job or side job. What would the remaining percentage of full time dive professionals be (as percentage of that baseline)? 10%? More? Less?

Hands down some of the worst advice by far I’ve ever heard in my diving career has been from ‘professionals’.
And, some of the best advice I've heard has been from professionals. The point is, does knowing the person is a professional mean I have a better chance of getting good advice? Or, is the quality of the advice independent of whether I know if the adviser is a professional?

The bigger question here is to whom do you go for advice. Simple thought experiment: two people standing there, you know nothing about them except that one has a sign around his neck that says "professional." You have a question to ask. To whom do you address your question with the most confidence you'll get a helpful answer?

Is it just me or is this really really funny coming from somebody who goes by the nonname lowviz with a blurry green/black avatar.

Walk the walk if you want to talk.

That's my picture and Steve C is my name. :)

:D

With

all due respect sir and there are few I respect as much as I do you, whether a diver is new is not a primary indication of whether a Perdix is a good choice. A Perdix is for tech divers, excited about their future divers, divers with means who enjoy nice tools and any diver that demands to own the best when it comes to their gear.

We bought ours when we had 11 dives. My wife told me to forget the 150 dollar special or the i300. She said we are going to be divers for a long time. Let’s not waste money buying something that we will soon want to replace. It was a huge investment for us with the transmitters. Aside from our aow instructor fees, it is by far the best money we have spent. Too each their own eh?

... and that's why I said sometimes ... because sometimes it is the right choice. But now consider the majority of new divers who have no aspirations of becoming tech divers, paying $100+ per fill for helium, or who have limited income to go out and enjoy the activity. Should they use those limited resources to purchase a piece of gear that offers capabilities they'll never need? Say they take the advice to spend upwards of $1000 on a tech computer, but as a result have to skimp on their exposure suit, or their regulator, or BCD. They'll love that new computer ... but get cold, or get a CO2 headache from "sipping" on a poorly functioning regulator, or struggle with their trim because their BCD doesn't fit right. Whatever makes them physically uncomfortable reduces their enjoyment of the activity. Some will decide diving's not for them. But man, that $1000 computer sure is great.

New divers need to assess their goals, and their budget, and make choices based on both. They're going to spend a lot of money on equipment no matter what they choose. And if they can afford it, that computer offers them everything they'll ever need (but remember that in a few years there'll be something better and cheaper available). But if their finances are limited, they need to prioritize their purchases ... and a dive computer simply isn't a priority over the other "big three" items they'll need to purchase.

If you can afford it, great ... but it's like buying a Mercedes to deliver pizza ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
So, you're not on Facebook?

Nope, nor twitter, instagram, etc., etc., etc.

I so agree with this statement, but I believe the OP is concerned about conflicts of interest. If he wasn't, he should be. If you sell Xwidgets and are all positive about Xwidgets on here, then I want to know about that. Even more so if you're posting negative crap about Zwidgets, your competitor.

I see a ton of disclaimers both saying "I have a connection" and "I have no connection" to XYZ company. Conflicts of interest are pretty obviously bogus and fairly easily researched.

Godwin's law states that if you really want a response, just post something wrong.

My corollary would be "and someone is always going to see it as wrong"

Wow. I don't recall ever giving that advice. Are you now suggesting that the Perdix is unsafe at any depth? Or that a new diver is incapable of reading literature, including SB and using the Perdix safely? Or possibly that no one could abuse the other PDCs?

See? These semi-rhetorical questions that try to cast the other party in an unflattering light are pretty bogus. Of course, you never suggested any of those things, just like I wouldn't suggest that a diver use a piece of equipment that they don't understand. It's misleading and relies on fear mongering. However, lots of newbies love the Perdix and recommend them to other newbies. They don't try to dive it outside of their understanding just like a person with a backplate and wing won't try to do the Doria because they have one. Guess what, Shearwater's growth is in the recreational sector. Perdix PDCs are flying off the shelf and they are being bought by Joe and Jane diver. Apparently, they feel pretty comfortable with the new technology. Who are we to tell them "you're gonna die!"??? More to the point, do you have actual incidences of new divers getting hurt on their Perdix? I certainly haven't heard of any.

Pete ... you have a nasty habit of exaggerating claims about what other people said. That makes it difficult to talk to you sometimes.

No, I never suggested any of those things. I can't for the life of me imagine why you think I did.

This is a board with special rules. If you can't discuss things without resorting to that tactic, then please don't respond to me anymore. It feels like a personal attack, when all I'm trying to do is offer some things for our newer divers to consider.

I'm not in any way "trying to cast the other party in an unflattering light" .. but it sure seems like you are. The "you're gonna die" inference is utter BS ... I've been on this board for 16 years, posted thousands of times, and you have not ... ONCE ... ever heard me make that comment. And you know it.

Pete ... please, just stop responding to my posts. You seem to have a hard time having a conversation without making it personal.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
Instructors are really good at instructing and relaying information.

I'd add the word some, many, or most to the beggining of the sentence. In my area I know (some better than others) nearly every instructer. Most are good to great. One is an arrogant prick. And one is downright dangerous.

Hands down some of the worst advice by far I’ve ever heard in my diving career has been from ‘professionals’.

... the biggest problem with bad advice from dive pros is that people tend to take it seriously ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom