Solved: Who am I talking to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lowviz

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
@The Chairman

Dear sir,
Would you consider making dive professionals (DM and above) immediately distinct from 'just divers' on this fine social board? I gain a lot of insight by being able to determine the 'flavor' of the poster and have recently been greatly surprised to learn of their professional status. I find this to be most unsettling.

It matters. You (posters) are or aren't posting as a professional. The unwashed massed don't always know this. Your SB persona does not reflect this as it should. No, we aren't all the same. Professionalism comes with obligations, titles, and transparency.

Show yourselves...

I am a professional. I choose to maintain my inactive status for several reasons. My opinions are my own and not reflective of the agency through which I hold my professional certification(s). Why should my status as a professional be used to judge my postings, especially when I consciously choose to distance myself from my professional status?

I am a member of the pros section because I enjoy the posts in the private forum. That it requires me to be listed as "Divemaster" is rather unfortunate. I would rather my tag read "just a diver" to be perfectly honest.

So you want it both ways, I'm cool with that.

A correction is necessary, how about 'active professional'? Too much to ask?

"My advice is worth exactly what you pay for it"

If someone would like my professional expertise, I would expect professionally rated compensation.

Enjoying talking diving with my fellow divers is what I'm here for. I like enjoying our hobby. I might give a few "pro tips" to point a newcomer on their way. But if I'm "working" I need paid. I do hope I'm kind as a fellow human and am not unprofessional online.

Sorry, I'm cheap or easy. Rarely both.
Cameron

Ha! Most clever.

First, I would like to say that we have had a lot of good interactions in the past and I greatly respect your experience and advice.

Your attempted obfuscation does not go without notice. You speak to the issue itself. You are or you aren't. Pick one and stay true.

I dunno. I think SB is fine the way it is in this regard. You can always check someone's profile page, though I suppose some may not list their pro status. I joined in 2007, and it didn't take long for me to figure out whether some poster was a pro, or very experienced, or not. Then there is the point that many divers who are only OW certified with thousands of dives could be better equipped than someone like me, an inactive DM with less than a thousand. Then there are the "zero to hero" instructors--where do they fit in as well as the comments like "Jeez do you see what that INSTRUCTOR is doing wrong in that video"? I assume you are suggesting every pro be required to label themselves under their avatar so we know that every time they post. Ah... I dunno. Most divers that continue diving well after certification and join SB probably wouldn't gain much from knowing someone's pro status. And pros do disagree on stuff. It's the internet.

I don't really see the point, to be honest. There are multiple dive agencies and no enforced standards between them; also, this is a diving forum and there is no actual authority granted by being a dive professional here. @lowviz can you offer an example of a dive professional using his or her authority as such to come down on someone here?

Another inactive DM here. I've know a few instructors with fewer than 200 dives. I take "professional" opinions with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I don't really see the point, to be honest. There are multiple dive agencies and no enforced standards between them; also, this is a diving forum and there is no actual authority granted by being a dive professional here. ...//...
Oh.

Well then, that really speaks to my perception of dive professionals. No standards, no ethics.

Never mind.

Back
Top Bottom