whites vs viking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Im going to get a drysuit w/ drygloves and an attatched hood etc. What do you guys think about the differences between whites and viking? Which would you chose, and any idea which one might be cheaper? Thanks

After researching the Nexus, Bare, and Viking suits, I decided to go with the Viking Extreme. The chances are that the Viking is quite similar to the other suits. I have a friend (boomx5) that dives with a Bare NexGen suit that seems extremely similar in quality and construction, and boomx5 has over 150 dives on his suit with only a couple of, easily fixed, leaks that were caused by normal usage.

Fortunately for me, Bob3 is about 3 mintues from my local dive shop, and he was kind enough to let me check out a Viking Extreme 03 size suit. Like Rodale's magazine says about the Extreme, it's really built tough. The construction of the suit alone sold me on getting it, and everything else just made me feel better about the purchase. Luckily for me a size 02 fits me perfect.

I have dry gloves and have installed a p-valve, but the attached dry hood didn't fit my face. My face is narrow, and there were 1/4 inch gaps at my temples that let water in quite efficiently. I've since removed the dry hood, and use a regular neoprene drysuit hood. I'll be adding pockets once 5th Dimension ships them.

I've had 4 dives on the suit since I picked it up 2 weeks ago, and will have another 5 dives on it this coming weekend. The verdict so far is that the Viking Extreme is an incredible suit. I've been in 50 to 55 degree water, and I was perfectly warm. I use a 300g fleece SoftWear undergarment with fleece socks and capilene thermal underwear. The exhaust valve with the undergarment vents perfectly, and I have to close down the valve to keep air in the suit (a good thing in my opinion when you want to vent quickly). With the attached neoprene, I have found that a combination of fin keepers and gators work really well in minimizing the volume of air in my legs and feet.

It's been a dry and warm suit so far, and I'm really happy I went with the Viking. I would strongly recommend talking to Bob3 on this site about sizing and price as you continue researching suits. The chances are he'll definitely have a deal similar to the other suits you're looking at.

Hope this helps. I spent about a year researching on and off before making this purchase, and although the Viking isn't a custom DUI or Diving Concept suit, it fits me perfectly and keeps me warm and dry.

~ Jason

I, too, have an x-treme. I've got 2+ years/100+ dives with it and am still very pleased with it. In the land (sea?) of zebra mussels, I've found it very durable. I'd buy another one in a minute.

with the dry hood (which works GOOD) and the attached dry glove system. I'm IN LOVE with this suit. The cost was affordable, the suit is tough and fits me well. Other than rust from the wreck of the Niagara II, I don't have any marks on it, and that is after about 55 dives in the last year an a half. I dive this suit almost exclusively in the Great Lakes with zebra mussles and the like and have no real complaints. I got mine from Bob3 for an EXCELLENT price, and then this past spring, got a set of drygloves from him too. He's excellent to deal with, offers a money back guarantee on the suit and is quite a nice fellow in general. I initially had a problem with the hood sealing (next to my eyes) but learned to pull my chin out of the opening, and that tightened up the sides enough to make the whole thing seal. I never dive with wet hair, and stay quite warm because of it.

Good luck with your purchase.

midwest diver:
Im going to get a drysuit w/ drygloves and an attatched hood etc. What do you guys think about the differences between whites and viking? Which would you chose, and any idea which one might be cheaper? Thanks

I own the Whites RED Rescue suit and like it very much. I did not care about the price, just wanted a really tough suit.

I picked red with the reflectors because it shows up alot better than black in a cave or floating in open ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom