Whites Nexus II????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I took a dry suit course, the LDS used rental Whites Nexus II's. They also had them for sale. No complaints at all. I ended up with a DUI TLS, only at the suggestion of a buddy. The cost was a fair amount more, plus the DUI did not come with undergarments as the White's package did. The only big difference is the self entry feature on the DUI, ie zipper in front vs shoulder entry. I never dive solo therefore that should never have been one of my reasons, but it was. If you are on a tight budget, I would definetly consider the Whites.

What would you like to know? I use a White's Nexus II and my son uses a White's Catalyst.

redblanket:
Just wondering about durability, also am wondering if it holds up well in cold cold water??

Morning,

A friend of mine did her IDC in the suit and it held up VERY well. It has over 150 dives on it and besides the neck/wrist seals needing to be replaced it has been a good suit. She was diving in the waters off Vancouver Island, but is now living Australia...

I am using the Catalyst from Whites and have no problems with the suit.

ß

redblanket:
Just wondering about durability, also am wondering if it holds up well in cold cold water??

redblanket,

My vast wealth of knowledge is based on a grand total of 15 dives in my Nexus dry suit. Lowest temperature to date has been 42F.

I've been very happy with it. I should be, it was recieved as a grand prize at a dive weekend sponsored by the Dive Shop and Aquasport here in Calgary. The suit was donated by Whites. My wife actually won it, and after deciding that diving in our climate and conditions wasn't her cup of tea, she gave it to me.

The Nexus is constructed differently than the Catalyst. The Nexus is a more basic shell and is looser fitting, to accomodate flexibility and movement. The Catalyst, with slightly heavier construction has "panels" at flex points to ease mobility. There are suspenders to help with the fit. I have a large, and although it has a bit looser fit than I'd like, the medium was too tight. The fit accomodates a number of layers of undergarmets. Along with the suit I use a BARE dry hood and SeaSoft 5mm TiPro gloves.

The complete Nexus package comes with the storage bag/backpack, fleece jacket, fleece one-piece undergarment (both of which have removable sleeves), boots, 3mm liner socks, LP hose and zip wax. The undergarment fits loose enough that I can wear a couple of layers of MEC undergarments underneath if need be.

My son has also been very happy with his Catalyst. If the decision is based on the cost difference between the two, and that cost difference will impact other equipment decisions I don't think you could go wrong with the Nexus.

For the money I think it's a good suit. I used a Brooks neoprene suit for the past twelve years and found that the switch to the shell quite positive. Overall, I'm much lighter on land (the weight of the suit and undergarments), and I'm wearing less weight on my belt for buoyancy. The suit is also much more comfortable to wear as far as maneuverability and flexibility are concernced.

Before buying the Nexus, I felt some concern that it was only a bilaminate, but after doing some research, and in particular, talking to a dive shop that uses the Nexus in its rental fleet, I discovered that this is not a problem. The inner poly layer is very durable. In fact, I learned that this suit is considered by some to me more durable than some of the cheaper trilaminates from other manufacturers. The seams are very well constructed.

I also got the package with the undergarments, and I like them very much. :14: In 50 degree water, I typically wear a very thin layer underneath the jumpsuit, then I wear the jacket over top without the sleeves. That leaves me perfectly toasty. And you'll be hard pressed to find better boots anywhere.

Good luck!

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom