Whites Manufacturing is Hiring!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WHITES Justin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Nov 28th, 2011

Whites Manufacturing LTD, based in Victoria, BC, is a subsidiary of Aqua Lung International, a worldwide leader in the water sports industry. We are seeking a qualified team player, with an attitude for adventure, to help design our next generation of exposure wear for the water sport enthusiast.
Compensation:

• Competitive wage.
  • Performance bonus.
  • Medical/dental/life insurance.

Job Responsibilities:

• Participate in product brainstorm sessions.
  • Conceptualize & design patterns for soft goods (boots, bags, gloves, drysuits, etc.).
  • Develop attractive graphics for product application.
  • Create detailed illustrations and specification packages for new product designs.
  • Able to attend national/international trade shows and stay up to date on current trends in the dive & sporting goods industry.
  • Self-starter, motivated and proactive.
  • Excellent communication skills.
  • Strong organization skills, capable of managing multiple projects.

• Positive team worker.
  • Ability to accept constructive criticism as it relates to design objectives.

Requirements:

• Education in Fashion/Industrial Design and/or equivalent work experience.
  • Ability to produce prototypes. Some sewing experience necessary.
  • Knowledge of Garment software an asset (CAD/Gerber), but not required.
  • Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator & Adobe Photoshop, but not required.
  • Experience in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) a plus

Submission Details:

Please submit your resume and/or samples of your best/most recent work in PDF format to James Griffiths at jgriffiths@aqualung.com

I give you credit for posting it here, but it would be great if being a dry suit diver were a *requirement*. It's not even listed as a plus.

As a customer I think that might be a real asset in a brainstorming session, especially given that I care a lot more about performance than fashion.

I give you credit for posting it here, but it would be great if being a dry suit diver were a *requirement*. It's not even listed as a plus.

As a customer I think that might be a real asset in a brainstorming session, especially given that I care a lot more about performance than fashion.

The issue is lack of creativity in the industry DA. We are looking outside our normal boundaries on this one. Anyone can learn to be a dry suit diver, but creativity is innate.

The Fusion Dry Suit, our most successful product ever, was actually inspired by the Kite Boarding and surfing market. I don't know if you have noticed, but the dive industry is way behind the times when it comes to combining creativity, design, and function into one great product.

The iPad and iPhone for example are great functional products, but they are also awesome designs which create a desire in people to own.

This position is essentially pattern and design work. Rest assured that the same team who has been behind the Whites products for many years will ensure that functionality is enhanced, not compromised.

Defy convention.

JB

Last edited:
I guess we differ on what it means to be a "dry suit diver".

I agree with you that Whites has a history of enhancing designs. In the case of the Fusion, much of that happened after the suit went into production, and I guess that's my point. Creativity is great, but it's lacks useful direction absent intimate knowdge of the product and the environment in which it is used.

As I said, it would have been nice to at least list drysuit diver as a "plus".

I guess we differ on what it means to be a "dry suit diver".

I agree with you that Whites has a history of enhancing designs. In the case of the Fusion, much of that happened after the suit went into production, and I guess that's my point. Creativity is great, but it's lacks useful direction absent intimate knowdge of the product and the environment in which it is used.

As I said, it would have been nice to at least list drysuit diver as a "plus".

Agreed. Being a diver always helps. This is one of our strengths at Whites; virtually everyone is a diver with many holding professional/commercial ratings.

We are having a tough time finding an appropriate candidate as is, and if one comes forward who is also a diver....JACKPOT!

I will give you an Idea right now and you can cash me out anytime if you put it to use. I have had many undergarments, some in dive closet. I dive a neoprene drysuit, and I wear a carhartt union suit(you know the red one) and a lycra over top. very warm, I sweat in it sometimes when moving to much. it is tight to my body and no way can Zipper get caught in it. yesterday my dive buddy dives a self donning dui, bought a weezle undergarment a week ago and now has a big tear in it from zipper.

I move freely and do not know if I can ever use any other undergarment anymore.

Two piece layer system easy wash and very fast drying and that means clean and fresh on almost every dive, I am thinkin socks in this way would be another to add.

Any ways Good luck Mr. Renegade, hope this helps for an Idea.

I will give you an Idea right now and you can cash me out anytime if you put it to use. I have had many undergarments, some in dive closet. I dive a neoprene drysuit, and I wear a carhartt union suit(you know the red one) and a lycra over top. very warm, I sweat in it sometimes when moving to much. it is tight to my body and no way can Zipper get caught in it. yesterday my dive buddy dives a self donning dui, bought a weezle undergarment a week ago and now has a big tear in it from zipper.

I move freely and do not know if I can ever use any other undergarment anymore.

Two piece layer system easy wash and very fast drying and that means clean and fresh on almost every dive, I am thinkin socks in this way would be another to add.

Any ways Good luck Mr. Renegade, hope this helps for an Idea.

Thanks for the input Voodoo.

I'll make you a deal. If you test the Thermal Fusion first and then still decide you want a 2 piece we can talk :)

By the way, the TF is Polartec which means easy care in the wash!

Stay Dry,

Renegade

Well renegade you got me there, I just needed to tell you about my undergarment last year, looks real similar to what I am diving and I have no extra buoyancy at all, looking at pic it does look tight and comfy, congrats to you and your team, It has only been out a month and on here I feel a little foolish I never seen it, as I thought I came up with the break through!! Hey wait a minute I remember a canadian boat spying on me this past summer. Any ways Renegade I can confirm this is the only way for undergarments, now just have different colors of first layer so you can wear it to dive site then put on second layer.

If I did not dive all the time I would have seen this sooner, I guess I should tell you all My Ideas and let you sort through them, Just kidden but I would like to try the tf it does have the market and I am here to say this is the WAY TO GO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom