White's Fusion Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Peter. I had thought about giving it a try myself and now with your push I think I will. With the expanded torso you almost need a parking lot to blow up the suit. If you hear a loud scream up there in SR, that's my wife upon encountering the fully inflated carcass in the living room. She screams when she sees it lying uninflated on my deck lounge chair drying.

Sounds like you need a little DIY action to fix your suit. I found an empty plastic food tub from Costco fits perfect into the neck. The dry gloves go back onto the suit, of course bottles do work. Anything slipped into the latex seals gets a quick zip tie in place to make sure it stays there. Then grab an inflator hose put it on and I use my regular air compressor to fill it up holding the air gun against the inflator hose as I push the inflator button. Some soapy water in a sprayer and a little bit of time usually reveals the leaks. Just look for a lot of tiny tiny bubbles forming at the surface. Some people use a flashlight in a dark room. Others fill the suit with water and let it come out the holes from the inside out. Whichever method gets the leak found is all that matters. Once found a little Aquaseal and maybe a patch are needed. Of course it is possible the suit could require a new zipper.

When wet, I will un-velcro the arms & legs to more airflow when hanging.

For easier donning, I spray the entire inside layer with SailKote (a silicone lube available at most boating supply stores) that helps the entire suit slide up over the undies (whichever combo I'm wearing) alot easier. I respray every few days of diving.
Yes, I learned this on Scubaboard...thanks TeamCasa :D

Thanks, Peter. I had thought about giving it a try myself and now with your push I think I will.
Go for it! You aren't going to hurt anything trying to find the leaks. Be patient as it can take a few minutes for the bubbles to show up. You can't use too much soapy water either. If you ever use soapy water on a CF200 I have found it easier to use a hose to wet the suit first. Otherwise you will be spraying forever just trying to dampen the suit. Once done wash it off with water.

With the expanded torso you almost need a parking lot to blow up the suit. If you hear a loud scream up there in SR, that's my wife upon encountering the fully inflated carcass in the living room. She screams when she sees it lying uninflated on my deck lounge chair drying.
Haha, she wouldn't be the first. My CF200 used to get hung in the shower that made for a great 7 foot surprise. LOL

Couple more tricks then. Once the leak is found I quickly dry the area with my blow gun, often holding my finger on the hole, then just use a permanent marker to mark the hole. Working from the inside, prep the area with MEK using a couple rags soaked in the stuff (There are times glue on the outside is the best type of repair. Honestly I could careless what my suit looks like as long as it functions.). Wear chemical gloves as it will eat through anything else. Most hardware stores sell MEK in the painting section as a thinner. If going over old Aquaseal or other type stuff you might want to rough it up with a little sandpaper before using MEK. Then I mix Aquaseal with Cotol in a can top to the desired consistency (Cotol I buy the larger can from the dive shop). The Cotol speeds up the drying process so it doesn't run all over the place, plus it speeds up the drying time so we can get back to diving. Also by thinning it, the glue can penetrate the material deeper. Brushes I buy at Harbor Freight in the bulk packs. Often I cut half the brush off with a pair of scissors so it doesn't have the holding capacity, and doing so gives me a more accurate way to spread the glue. There are times I also cut half the brush off sideways to make a smaller brush all around. They are disposable, make them what you need. 36 Piece 1/2" Horsehair Bristle Acid Shop Brushes
Of course a set of these may find their way into my stock pile next time I am at HF, if I can find them. Get both.
20 Piece Artist Brush Set

If there were a lot of leaks, then I would retest it. Otherwise take it diving.

Hugely helpful details, Peter. I've printed it all out. Many thanks again!

Go for it! You aren't going to hurt anything trying to find the leaks. Be patient as it can take a few minutes for the bubbles to show up. You can't use too much soapy water either. If you ever use soapy water on a CF200 I have found it easier to use a hose to wet the suit first. Otherwise you will be spraying forever just trying to dampen the suit. Once done wash it off with water.

Haha, she wouldn't be the first. My CF200 used to get hung in the shower that made for a great 7 foot surprise. LOL

Couple more tricks then. Once the leak is found I quickly dry the area with my blow gun, often holding my finger on the hole, then just use a permanent marker to mark the hole. Working from the inside, prep the area with MEK using a couple rags soaked in the stuff (There are times glue on the outside is the best type of repair. Honestly I could careless what my suit looks like as long as it functions.). Wear chemical gloves as it will eat through anything else. Most hardware stores sell MEK in the painting section as a thinner. If going over old Aquaseal or other type stuff you might want to rough it up with a little sandpaper before using MEK. Then I mix Aquaseal with Cotol in a can top to the desired consistency (Cotol I buy the larger can from the dive shop). The Cotol speeds up the drying process so it doesn't run all over the place, plus it speeds up the drying time so we can get back to diving. Also by thinning it, the glue can penetrate the material deeper. Brushes I buy at Harbor Freight in the bulk packs. Often I cut half the brush off with a pair of scissors so it doesn't have the holding capacity, and doing so gives me a more accurate way to spread the glue. There are times I also cut half the brush off sideways to make a smaller brush all around. They are disposable, make them what you need. 36 Piece 1/2" Horsehair Bristle Acid Shop Brushes
Of course a set of these may find their way into my stock pile next time I am at HF, if I can find them. Get both.
20 Piece Artist Brush Set

If there were a lot of leaks, then I would retest it. Otherwise take it diving.

Back
Top Bottom