White's fusion for big calf size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK.. I just did a drysuit orientation (pool) using a Fusion Sport and still have no idea, if it is too tight for me or not :)

I do not have proper undergarment yet and tried the suit using a base layer and blue jeans :) While it was not completely effortless, I was able to pass my foot into the sock without any major struggle. I could probably have a slightly thicker undergarment on and still be able to stick it in. Following that though, I did feel quite constrained in my legs and actually all over the suit. I had to use may hand to pull each of my legs when putting on the fins. I could do a squat but i did it slowly fearing something could break and off course I did not want to rip the bladder. There was definitely a lot of tension .. The instructor suggested this was probably mainly due to the lycra skin being tight. He said the dry membrane was much bigger than the skin and was unlikely to be causing the pressure. While I understand the idea, I am not sure that I fully trust his judgment in my particular case...

I am absolutely borderline for the 2XXL/3XXL, 6'-2" tall, 45" waist, weighing exactly 250 lbs at the moment, which in the size chart is the maximum for this suit. My calf is 18.5" The next size up, 4XL is supposed to be good from 230 to 350 lbs. The critical factor here is the fact that I have been on a major weight loss effort due to medical reasons. I have dropped 15 lbs since December and need to loose another 30, or more.. After the initial "easy" period, It may take me another year or two to get there but then, being (hopefully) 215 lbs, I do not want to have a suit that is meant for a 350 lbs, 7 ft guy :)

The biggest question for me is the calf size. I was certainly able to create a bubble near my ankles, which moved me upside down :) .. so some air is passing through easily, but with no prior experience I am not sure if it means anything or not ... With this being my first drysuit dive, I also struggled with the squeeze a lot. During the dive, I never felt that the tightness really went away completely to my satisfaction... I was expecting less tightness than in a 7mm wetsuit, and think it was actually more in the drysuit (and different).

And now a silly question .. :) Is this how it is supposed to feel? If i loose 10 lbs, which is probably maximum likely to happen by the end of Summer, will it make the feeling significantly better? Conversely, if I buy a 4XL and then my weight drops 15 lbs below its rating, will it still work for me?

My LDS does not have the 4XL size to try...

Sorry for the long story but I do not expect a long answer :)

As an update, I ended up buying a 4XL. Right now it seems to be good size, although definitely somewhat generous. We will see how it works out in a long term with my weight loss ambitions...

Either thru a mixup, or via DRIS really just being *that good* my 2x/3x Bullet order turned into a 4x suit (I had ordered a 4x thermal Fusion based on the size chart, and the 2x/3x Bullet based on trying one on at Beneath The Sea). Suit and Undies arrived today, and while I was at first a little worried about the 4x suit, it seems perfect. With the Thermal Fusion undies, it's fine, and even without the thick undies it has no sag or other signs of being too big.

I was worried about the calves, but they don't seem to be an issue (the DUI guy measured me at 19" calves when I was still undecided about what suit to get). While attaching the Fusion boots, I had reason to detach the skin at the ankles and pull it up a bit. What I noticed is that all of the tightness I though I may have been feeling at the calves was really in the skin, not the bladder, which I'm fine with - no worries about stressing the drycore.

I think I struck the "good luck" (and good timing) jackpot with this order. I was able to use both the White's free SLT ring promotion along with DRIS' show discount. Then it turns out that Whites was out of the backpack that was supposed to be included in the order, so I got upgraded to the Mil-spec duffel instead (and for a 4x suit an TF undies -- that's probably a good thing, as they both take up a pretty big volume, esp with the boots attached!). And, they were also back-ordered on the Neoprene socks that were part of the package, so I was upgraded (gratis again) to the nicer Mk 3 socks.

The one thing that doesn't seem to have made it thru is the SLT promotion was supposed to come with a spare set of seals, and it didn't, but I don't think I'm going to whine about that one :)

For reference, I'm 6'0", ~290lbs, 48" chest (but I wear a 54 jacket), 44" waist, 30" inseam. The 2x/3x I tried on (over jeans and t-shirt) didn't feel much different than the 4x that arrived today, and the fellow in the White's booth at BTS seemed to think it was a good fit (I was able to sit and squat and move my arms around behind my head).

The one confusing thing was the plastic insoles that came with the fusion boots -- they're not mentioned in any of the documentation that arrives, but some googling turned up that they're supposed to go inside the dry sock to help hold them in place. We'll see how that works out long term...

Can't wait to get this thing in the water finally :) Unfortunately my primary buddy (wife) is not yet convinced to go dry, so she's a couple of months off before she's ready to get into the local quarry.

Your measurements are about the same as mine. I think I could have gotten away with a modded 3xl and the extra material in the arms and legs foe the drycore. I'be tried both 3xl and 4xl sizes and got the impression the 4xl adds mostly length. As far as boots go, I use a decent pair of wetsuit boots. They are more comfortable for me than the fusion or evo boots.

Finally got the new suit in the water this weekend! I'm pretty happy with the fit - the 2x/3x would have been too small with the ThermalFusion undergarment. With the thick undies and the Bullet skin, it's definitely an adjustment from diving wet -- vs a 5-mil wetsuit, I can feel some changes in mobility for sure, but a big part of that I'm sure is just adjusting everything else around it.

Biggest adjustment was weight - wow! I normally dive my usual site with 0-4 lbs in a 5mm hyperstretch suit. With the Fusion and ThermalFusion undies I needed 28lbs to get down, was was still a little light on my first dive (I could stay down if I was 15+ feet under, but started to cork above that). Today (2nd dive in the suit) I went up to 32 lbs and felt pretty good. I could put enough air in the suit to keep the squeeze off (and keep warm) and not cork. The suit vents well (if I roll to the right and get the dump up, I can shrink wrap myself, but it's pretty seamless otherwise.)

Stayed nice and warm in 43°F water. I can don and doff the suit by myself, but I'm still not used to the cuff rings and my harness - I haven't yet adjusted my harness from wetsuit use which is certainly a big factor.

Back to the original discussion on calf size -- the suit is no problem. The undergarment feels a little tight, but nothing hateful. I'm very happy that I'm diving an off-the-shelf suit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom