Whites Fusion drysuit and Thermal Fusion undergarment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got my UA Base Layer 3.0 and dove a couple of dives last weekend.

Much better. I did add 2 of the 6 pounds I took off back on, so I could run abit more air in my suit. Also I run the suit valve closed 3 or 4 clicks now to keep that air in the suit, as the MK3 used to trap it for me, and ran the valve fully open. I may still try to run the compression base gear underneath, just as an experiment, and see if I get too warm. I prefer to run my suit alittle "squeezy"

Necroposting, sorry :)

I placed my order for a Fusion Bullet this week with DRIS. I ended up with the ThermalFusion -- originally ordered the No-Zip but they're apparently unavailable until May :(

This will be my first drysuit. I've done two dives dry via the DUI Demo Days last year - one in a TLS350, the other in the CLX450 -- neither of which fit me "well" but were good enough to get a little experience out of it.

Pro's for the Fusion:

Didn't have to go custom. I had Jimmy from DUI measure me at Beneath the Sea this past weekend (before I made my decision) and I was solidly in Custom territory. I was worried about getting stuck with an expensive custom suit if I decide I don't like diving dry, etc. Apparently I also have the "biggest thighs he's ever measured" so chances of fitting in another Stock size were small. I was able to try the Fusion on at BTS and even with Jeans as an undergarment, fit wasn't a problem

With the flexible sizing, it'll probably also fit my wife. She's still not convinced on the dry thing after doing a Demo Day dive (in a suit that was WAY too big for her). Maybe this way I can slowly convince her to try it again :) (She's my primary buddy -- I've sworn that she can continue to set the limits on water temp and length of dive based on her temperature tolerance!)

Weight: I hope this is something that I can travel with, even to warmer locations. Being a member of the "husky" club, even wetsuits start to get heavy. When I went to Australia in 2011, I actually sacrificed some warmth and bought (and took) a new 3mm suit instead of my preferred 5mm just to save some weight in my luggage.

Biggest con of the whole process: There's no good way to compare "warmth" of the various undergarmets out there. Even within a manufacturer, I couldn't find anything to say how the No-Zip compares to the Mk2 compares to the ThermalFusion. So, I guessed. It seems pretty much a given that diving dry means eventually accumulating a selection of various undies to suit different conditions. I know it's all individual choice, but at some relative measurements might be nice.

Can't way to get it, and get in the water! DRIS treated me well with both their show discount, and White's SLT seal rings promotions.

For traveling, I bought a spare sport skin for mine (ok, I actually bought a complete fusion sport drysuit as a spare).I found the Thermal Fusion not as warm as my Mk3. No reason the no zip would be any different. I've actually switched to a UA BaseLayer 5.0 over top of my compression baselayer, since I lost a bunch of weight since this posting. I also run a heated vest now as well, especially now with longer Rebreather dives.

The Thermal Fusion is a very nice undergarment, I like the fit of it.
It's too warm for me in our 12 degree Celsius water temps. I burn up in it.

Cheers,

Mitch

I have the whites thermal fusion, the Mk0, the Mk2 and the Mk3.

The Mk3 is the warmest. I've worn it under my drysuit with drygloves down to 32-33F (0.25-0.5C) water temps for up to 40 mins. You come up cold but not frozen.

The TF is then the next warmest and gives wayyy more mobility than the Mk3. I sometimes get nervous diving my Mk3 that in an emergency I might have a hard time performing my valve drills. Its a very deliberate stretch. My TF lets me much more easily get my hands behind my head. The TF is also just very comfortable and soft. It doesnt need an undergarmet, but I usually wear my Mk0 as one just for added warmth and ease of donning.

Mk2 are warm but not as comfortable. I will wear them in the summer when the water temps warm up. But normally I stick to the TF as its more comfortable and I prefer to be on the warm side than the chilly side.

Finally I almost always wear my Mk0 under everything. Its fairly comfortable, acts as a great wicking layer and is super easy to throw in the wash after a dive, as I usually sweat gearing up and getting to the water.

For socks I always wear a pair of thin wicking socks and then a thick pair of woolen outers. I have the Mk3 socks and they are also super warm, but they dont fit in the boots of my primary drysuit (They are quite bulky). And so wearing them means going back to a drysuit with latex seals and I much prefer my silicon ones.

However, all this to say, where I dive I consider it a VERY warm day if the water temp gets over 50F. Also, just by the way my life has worked out these last few years I have done most of my diving in the winter. So I like to be warm. For really cold days or under the ice I sometimes wear a FFM, they add a lot of heat. And I wear a 7mm White Arrow hood that I purchased from Dive Gear Express. By far the nicest, warmest and most comfortable hood ever. Worth every penny. I have also been considering a heated vest, but they are expensive.

As for putting the TF on, I find that if I reach up through the bottom of the leg and make a hole with my hand and sort of guide my foot through its easier to put on and not get bunched up. Otherwise I sort of just rub myself all over until everything gets straightened out.

Back
Top Bottom