White's Catalyst Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am working on ordering a White's Catalyst dry suit. My LDS does not stock them, but can order them. I am looking at getting the package deal with the under garments & all. Anyone out there have or had one of these suits? Can you give me the good, bad & the ugly? Any tips on sizing? Should I measure for the undergarments? Or are they sized for the undergarments to begin with. I'm trying to do this right & get a suit I will be happy with for a long time. Thank you for your thoughts.

HI,

I have one and have about 100 dives on it so far this year. So far, the only thing bad I can say is that the "self-entry" might more aptly apply to a cirque de soleil employee than the average person. Actually, once you get the hang of it, the last couple of inches are pretty easy and you will love how easy it is to zip up. I bought the full meal deal and sizing is pretty accurate. Best to give your LDS your measurements and go from there. I found the zip-up lining to be very comfortable but my zipper went on the 10th dive. I just took it to a seamstress and they put a new zipper in it. Less hassle than sending the stuff back via the LDS. Make sure you get the 3mm socks as they are warmer than using woolies. Also, make sure you get the EVO 3 boots as they are the best ones. I tried the Alterra boots and they were like wearing slippers. I went in and bought the EVO 3 boots and love them. You will get a pocket on the dry suit which is super handy for anything from a pocket mask to a lift bag. Also, remember to get something called "seal saver" from your LDS and use it religiously on every dive. It is kind of a silicone liquid that I just rub inside my wrist seals before I put the suit on. Makes it easier to get on and makes your latex seals last longer. A fellow diver showed me another neat trick in removing your wrists from the seals and sleeves and that is carrying a little bottle of baby shampoo and rubbing a bit on your wrists before you slide your hands out. Less wear and tear on the seals.

The suit is very flexible and the underwear/fleece insulating stuff is quite warm. It was 48-50 on the last dive and 45 minutes was fine. I really like how fast the suit drys out also. The suspension (suspenders) in side the suit is a neat touch. Keeps the suit up where it is supposed to be. Remember to cross the suspenders over your head rather than just pulling them on your shoulders to keep them from sliding off.

All in all, a great suit and about 50% of the people I dive with use the same suit. It even comes with a nifty carrying bag that holds your boots and wetsuit hood and gloves. Good luck. You won't be dissapointed.

Bismark:
HI,

I have one and have about 100 dives on it so far this year. So far, the only thing bad I can say is that the "self-entry" might more aptly apply to a cirque de soleil employee than the average person. Actually, once you get the hang of it, the last couple of inches are pretty easy and you will love how easy it is to zip up. I bought the full meal deal and sizing is pretty accurate. Best to give your LDS your measurements and go from there. I found the zip-up lining to be very comfortable but my zipper went on the 10th dive. I just took it to a seamstress and they put a new zipper in it. Less hassle than sending the stuff back via the LDS. Make sure you get the 3mm socks as they are warmer than using woolies. Also, make sure you get the EVO 3 boots as they are the best ones. I tried the Alterra boots and they were like wearing slippers. I went in and bought the EVO 3 boots and love them. You will get a pocket on the dry suit which is super handy for anything from a pocket mask to a lift bag. Also, remember to get something called "seal saver" from your LDS and use it religiously on every dive. It is kind of a silicone liquid that I just rub inside my wrist seals before I put the suit on. Makes it easier to get on and makes your latex seals last longer. A fellow diver showed me another neat trick in removing your wrists from the seals and sleeves and that is carrying a little bottle of baby shampoo and rubbing a bit on your wrists before you slide your hands out. Less wear and tear on the seals.

The suit is very flexible and the underwear/fleece insulating stuff is quite warm. It was 48-50 on the last dive and 45 minutes was fine. I really like how fast the suit drys out also. The suspension (suspenders) in side the suit is a neat touch. Keeps the suit up where it is supposed to be. Remember to cross the suspenders over your head rather than just pulling them on your shoulders to keep them from sliding off.

All in all, a great suit and about 50% of the people I dive with use the same suit. It even comes with a nifty carrying bag that holds your boots and wetsuit hood and gloves. Good luck. You won't be dissapointed.

Good points. Thank you for your review. Here in KY, I do mostly quarry diving and the temps below 60' stay at 42 degrees year round. Depending on the season, the surface temps can range from freezing in the winter to 88 degrees in the summer. I plan on using this suit to extend my diving seasons (right now it has come to an end, wet suit- wise & wouldn't start again until late May) & for the deep dives I do in the quarries. If I may ask what kind of wet suit hood do you use? I have a custom made 6.5 mm which is the most comfy one I could find. It has a normal type rounded "bib" on it. Would I need to cut this down? Or would it fit in the zippered area made for a hood? Just curious. I would hate to have to start cutting up that hood, it cost me a pretty penny.

If if works on a wetsuit it is probably too big. I have an O'Neils hood, not for any other reason than that is what the LDS had. You can't have too big a "flange" around the neck or it will not fit inside the small collar ofthe drysuit. I just got in from diving this afternoon. 2 dives in 52 degrees,2 large pacific octupus, some seals, bunch of fish and still warm and dry.......

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom