White powder film on Oceanic V12s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoges in WA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My V12s have a white powder coating on them. My wife's V12s do not. It rubs off easy enough. like it was rubbing a layer off or similar. If they were made of metal, I'd describe it as oxidisation but obviously they're not metal. Anyone got any idea what this is? I'd doubt it was perishing as 1)they're not that old and anyway they're the same age as my wife's fins and 2) it's the fin, not the strap where I would expect perishing.

Thanks. Hoges in WA (as in Western Australia, not Washington. But soon to be Hoges in Fla., as in Florida!)

It is oxidation, rubber, natural rubber in particular oozes a wax which oxidizes on the surface. It causes no harm and is normal. It is not required to remove the oxidation.

The oxidation often appears as a white or yellow powder or chalky looking substance. Do not put Armor All on your fins, just wash them in clear water and quit worrying.

N

Makes sense. Thanks for that. (I was half-hoping someone would say "it's the most toxic substance known to man", then I'd have a perfect excuse to buy some of those new channel type things.)
So, in the box bound for Florida they go!

Back
Top Bottom