White Point/Royal Palms Closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gimewater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So everyone knows White Point/Royal Palms is closed due to a Sink Hole thats located in the parking lot. Has anyone heard when it is due to open again? My friend who told me about it was a lifeguard and said it was unknown as of last week.

it sure would be a bummer to get back from a dive to see your car was stolen by mother earth! Maybe it will expose an underwater cave system in the hot water vents that goes on for miles in clean fresh 85 degree water... or maybe I am just dreaming.

Wow, this just in on the AP wire:

Headline: Giant Hole on California Beach Yields A Surprising Discovery

A sinkhole that suddenly opened up at a park near Los Angeles has revealed a previously unknown warm-water cavern system.

Scientists at the beach-side White's Point park have released preliminary reports that state the water is a comfortable 87 degrees and the clarity of the water exceeds even the typical crystal-clear usually found in cenotes or springs.

Both of which are unusual for the Southern California's beaches, which generally "features much crappier conditions," in the words of one geologist.

In addition, the cavern system has been discovered to be the only known habitat for a new species of lobster, which one biologist declared to be "easily the tastiest known species of lobster in the world."

Given that this new lobster species is not currently protected by state Fish &Game laws, it will not be going out of season on Wednesday, when the popular spiny lobster season will end at midnight.

Wow, this just in on the AP wire:

Headline: Giant Hole on California Beach Yields A Surprising Discovery

A sinkhole that suddenly opened up at a park near Los Angeles has revealed a previously unknown warm-water cavern system.

Scientists at the beach-side White's Point park have released preliminary reports that state the water is a comfortable 87 degrees and the clarity of the water exceeds even the typical crystal-clear usually found in cenotes or springs.

Both of which are unusual for the Southern California's beaches, which generally "features much crappier conditions," in the words of one geologist.

In addition, the cavern system has been discovered to be the only known habitat for a new species of lobster, which one biologist declared to be "easily the tastiest known species of lobster in the world."

Given that this new lobster species is not currently protected by state Fish &Game laws, it will not be going out of season on Wednesday, when the popular spiny lobster season will end at midnight.

Nicely played! I only wish it were true!

so the beach is no longer closed but the parking lot is. The lifeguards I have talked to have guessed the parking lot will reopen around the middle of May if not a little later. Till then the wonderful scenic scuba trails of PV now include White Point and Royal Palms instead of parking directly on the beach.

Back
Top Bottom