Whiskeytown Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abman:
sorry to hear about you've inflatable. i know that you've had it a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. do you still have your scooters ? ken
Ya but know they're called turtle fins. I traded my Farallon for a tech class in 95. I wish I still had it.

I've been looking for you....
Looks like you have a ton of experience up there. My girlfriend and I are heading up to Redding this weekend. Where's the place to go for first time lake divers in Whiskeytown? What level of exposure protection would you recommend for this time of year? And based on that, what percentage of my body weight should I be wearing in lead in fresh water. Thanks in advance.

P.S. What's the vis like this time of year?

icantdive55:
Hi gang, I'm new to the group but not to diving. I was looking over some of the posts on Whiskeytown and may have some first hand knowledge that some of you would like. I dive this lake on a regular basis and I know where the town WAS. It was demolished before they filled the lake. If you look real hard you can still see the foundations and debri. The old highway enters the water just west of the visitor center. This is the spot where all the instructors teach their classes. It exits the water at the Oak Bottom boat ramp. It re enters the water in Grizzley Gulch Cove which also has a bridge in about 55 feet of water. This cove also has a 10' diameter culvert that connects the pond to the north with the main body of the lake. This culvert points directly to the bridge. The main body of the town is south of the Highway 299 bridge that goes over the lake. Most of the town is beyond 100' and it's advisable to carry a light. I have found a cement block structure at 90 feet and a well at 120'. The structure looks as though someone tried to bury it with a bulldozer. It has a door opening on one side that goes all the way through (less than 10 feet) but is blocked by debri. You can't turn right or left as the walls are solid. To dive the old town site you will be in the middle of the lake with lot's of boat traffic. I clip a reel to my anchor so that I have no doubt that I will surface beside my boat. Do not expect respect for the dive flag! Sometimes I think it actuall attrects more boats. Some of which are divers coming to see what you're doing. Go figure.

KelpCoasters:
I've been looking for you....
Looks like you have a ton of experience up there. My girlfriend and I are heading up to Redding this weekend. Where's the place to go for first time lake divers in Whiskeytown? What level of exposure protection would you recommend for this time of year? And based on that, what percentage of my body weight should I be wearing in lead in fresh water. Thanks in advance.

P.S. What's the vis like this time of year?

Well where do I start. For first time visitors to the lake I would recomend the area on Highway 229 just west of the visitor center. There is a turn out on the left (if you're traveling west) close to the base of the hill. That is where you want to park. You must go past it and turn around then come back. You can't turn left while going down the hill. The water temperature will vary depending on the depth you choose to dive. For the most part if you plan on going below the thermocline (almost always at 27') you will need full protection. I wear 6mill from the top of my head to the tip of my toes. Above the thermo almost any level of protection will do. Most who dive above, shed the hood and gloves and keep the zipper 3/4 down on the jacket. I know that there is a zillion methods to calculate the required weight but it boiles down to body mass, water displacement, and gear configuration. With my out fit (single tank, very high quality wet suit, stainless back plate and a steel 80) I only need a 6 pound weight belt and I'm not a small guy. I may be short but not small. My wife feeds me well. Wearing the exact same set up and a lower quality suit I need 12 pounds. So I guess the short answer is take the time to adjust you weight before your first dive. Oh ya if the old highway enters the water you're at the right spot. I MAY be there Saturday morning. The Vis is good. If you want to see a few of the bigger bass dive by the curtain (obvious when you're there). If you dive along the road look under the rocks for the crawdads. Some of the bass will take them tail first right from your finger tips. Good luck and have fun.

Cool, thanks

icantdive55:
Well where do I start. For first time visitors to the lake I would recomend the area on Highway 229 just west of the visitor center. There is a turn out on the left (if you're traveling west) close to the base of the hill. That is where you want to park. You must go past it and turn around then come back. You can't turn left while going down the hill. The water temperature will vary depending on the depth you choose to dive. For the most part if you plan on going below the thermocline (almost always at 27') you will need full protection. I wear 6mill from the top of my head to the tip of my toes. Above the thermo almost any level of protection will do. Most who dive above, shed the hood and gloves and keep the zipper 3/4 down on the jacket. I know that there is a zillion methods to calculate the required weight but it boiles down to body mass, water displacement, and gear configuration. With my out fit (single tank, very high quality wet suit, stainless back plate and a steel 80) I only need a 6 pound weight belt and I'm not a small guy. I may be short but not small. My wife feeds me well. Wearing the exact same set up and a lower quality suit I need 12 pounds. So I guess the short answer is take the time to adjust you weight before your first dive. Oh ya if the old highway enters the water you're at the right spot. I MAY be there Saturday morning. The Vis is good. If you want to see a few of the bigger bass dive by the curtain (obvious when you're there). If you dive along the road look under the rocks for the crawdads. Some of the bass will take them tail first right from your finger tips. Good luck and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom