Whiskeytown Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icantdive55

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi gang, I'm new to the group but not to diving. I was looking over some of the posts on Whiskeytown and may have some first hand knowledge that some of you would like. I dive this lake on a regular basis and I know where the town WAS. It was demolished before they filled the lake. If you look real hard you can still see the foundations and debri. The old highway enters the water just west of the visitor center. This is the spot where all the instructors teach their classes. It exits the water at the Oak Bottom boat ramp. It re enters the water in Grizzley Gulch Cove which also has a bridge in about 55 feet of water. This cove also has a 10' diameter culvert that connects the pond to the north with the main body of the lake. This culvert points directly to the bridge. The main body of the town is south of the Highway 299 bridge that goes over the lake. Most of the town is beyond 100' and it's advisable to carry a light. I have found a cement block structure at 90 feet and a well at 120'. The structure looks as though someone tried to bury it with a bulldozer. It has a door opening on one side that goes all the way through (less than 10 feet) but is blocked by debri. You can't turn right or left as the walls are solid. To dive the old town site you will be in the middle of the lake with lot's of boat traffic. I clip a reel to my anchor so that I have no doubt that I will surface beside my boat. Do not expect respect for the dive flag! Sometimes I think it actuall attrects more boats. Some of which are divers coming to see what you're doing. Go figure.

Great info! Several people have been curious about underwater towns. Do you have plans to do more exploratory dives?

icantdive55:
Hi gang, I'm new to the group but not to diving. I was looking over some of the posts on Whiskeytown and may have some first hand knowledge that some of you would like. I dive this lake on a regular basis and I know where the town WAS. It was demolished before they filled the lake. If you look real hard you can still see the foundations and debri. The old highway enters the water just west of the visitor center. This is the spot where all the instructors teach their classes. It exits the water at the Oak Bottom boat ramp. It re enters the water in Grizzley Gulch Cove which also has a bridge in about 55 feet of water. This cove also has a 10' diameter culvert that connects the pond to the north with the main body of the lake. This culvert points directly to the bridge. The main body of the town is south of the Highway 299 bridge that goes over the lake. Most of the town is beyond 100' and it's advisable to carry a light. I have found a cement block structure at 90 feet and a well at 120'. The structure looks as though someone tried to bury it with a bulldozer. It has a door opening on one side that goes all the way through (less than 10 feet) but is blocked by debri. You can't turn right or left as the walls are solid. To dive the old town site you will be in the middle of the lake with lot's of boat traffic. I clip a reel to my anchor so that I have no doubt that I will surface beside my boat. Do not expect respect for the dive flag! Sometimes I think it actuall attrects more boats. Some of which are divers coming to see what you're doing. Go figure.
hi ! ican't dive 55, i grew up in redding, was certified in 1979 did all of my pre-check out dives at "the old road" there on the left after the visitors center. my instructor was jim brakefield. i dove out of howell's for years. i hear that ray (the owner) has pretty much retired. another of the instructors that i dove a lot with was rod linn. he retired about 3 yrs. ago. i had heard about the town, but we had never really tried to find it. i spent a lot of hours of bottom time in whiskeytown, it is so much cleaner to dive in than shasta lake. cooler water during the summer, but much nicer place to dive. it sound like you have been diving the area for quite some time. pm, me if you want, maybe we know each other. i moved form the area in the early 80's. have you dove burney falls,lake hellen(up in lassen park, we always did an ice dive there in may),crater lake(up towards susanville) or the south jetty over at eureka. these were a few of our old haunts. ken

It's possible. I was told that there were no structures yet I founf 1. There should still be a bridge in about 150 or less but I haven't found it yet.

It's possible. I was told that there were no structures yet I found 1. There should still be a bridge in about 150 or less but I haven't found it yet.

renpirate:
Great info! Several people have been curious about underwater towns. Do you have plans to do more exploratory dives?

Absolutely. I dive it as often as possible which isn't very often. I was showing a new instructor the structure on friday and poked a hole in my very very old inflateable. It won't be going to the water again soon.

abman:
hi ! ican't dive 55, i grew up in redding, was certified in 1979 did all of my pre-check out dives at "the old road" there on the left after the visitors center. my instructor was jim brakefield. i dove out of howell's for years. i hear that ray (the owner) has pretty much retired. another of the instructors that i dove a lot with was rod linn. he retired about 3 yrs. ago. i had heard about the town, but we had never really tried to find it. i spent a lot of hours of bottom time in whiskeytown, it is so much cleaner to dive in than shasta lake. cooler water during the summer, but much nicer place to dive. it sound like you have been diving the area for quite some time. pm, me if you want, maybe we know each other. i moved form the area in the early 80's. have you dove burney falls,lake hellen(up in lassen park, we always did an ice dive there in may),crater lake(up towards susanville) or the south jetty over at eureka. these were a few of our old haunts. ken
Hi Ken, I know Jim,Rod and Ray. I've never dove lake hellen or crater lake but the Jettie is one of the best salt water dives I've ever made. 99% of the time it's very poor but whe you get that 1% it's GERAT.

icantdive55:
Hi Ken, I know Jim,Rod and Ray. I've never dove lake hellen or crater lake but the Jettie is one of the best salt water dives I've ever made. 99% of the time it's very poor but whe you get that 1% it's GERAT.
heck yeh!! i still remember the 1st time i dove the south jetty with mike lane, jim brakefield, ray howell,scott kingsbury,and ? i shot the biggest ling that i still have ever shot it went over 26#. you are so right! when it was good it was great! but 99.9% of the time it was feel it before you shoot it, that made for some rather interesting moments. i'd dive there again in a heart beat given 1/2 a chance. ken

icantdive55:
Absolutely. I dive it as often as possible which isn't very often. I was showing a new instructor the structure on friday and poked a hole in my very very old inflateable. It won't be going to the water again soon.
sorry to hear about you've inflatable. i know that you've had it a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. do you still have your scooters ? ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom