Whiskey Wreck and Alabama Point Jetties 3-25-7 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Met up at Bahama Bobs at 1PM with dschulte, kylepried, mikerault + wife, and darcy + brian for lunch. Lee met up with us later(not sure of his SB screenname) for the dive itself. We started gearing up around 2:15, and I sures hell hope we hit the water by 3PM, but I can't be sure. Water temps were very comfortable in the uppers 60sF and visibility was pretty steady at 15', awesome for the Whiskey Wreck. There were an absolute ton of sheepshead. dshculte and kylepried both brought some cute little spearguns that managed to bag 3 sheepshead. I got skunked after bouncing a few shots off sheepshead and totally missing a flounder sitting out in the open. Lots of tropicals on the Whiskey, more life than any other site I've been on in the gulf this year. I hit a max depth of 17' for a dive lasting 66 minutes.

We got fills at Down Under for our next dive at the Alabama Point Jetties.

We were a bit late for the predicted high tide, but when we got there, and even after we left, the tide was still coming in. Water was clear, with visibility in the 15-20' range and water temps in the upper 60sF again. Saw lots of smaller fishlife and anenomes at the beggining of the dive. Then a couple spanish macrel and skipjack towards the middle, with some random sheepshead here and there. Towards the point, sheepshead were thick, mullet were out, and flounder could be found much more than I thought they would be spotted. Darcy and I went completely around the point. The rest of our party turned the dive before hitting the point itself. Darcy and I were rewarded with a long hike through loose sand. Everyone else got to swim on/near the surface as they ran out of air - LOL. Between kylepried and dshulte, and their cute little speargats, they manage to tag another sheepshead and a couple mullet. I knifed a flounder(which almost got away with said knife - luckily I caught back up with it after a chase) on the west(beachside) of the jetties. All in all, I think everyone had a great dive. Max depth of 30' for a dive lasting about an hour.

Manditory dive debriefing took place at Hooters over wings a beer. As should it always be.

Sorry Yellow Angel Fish and I couldn't join you guys, but with her having to cancel our Monday, it just make the logistics and travel time too cumbersome.

Glad you guys had a good time!

the K

Sorry Susan and I missed Hooters! My rib was starting to ache abit and Susan was tired after staying at the ER with me til 3am...Hopefully I won't crack a rib next time we are down!

Mike

Well dang Mat, you got to sleep in, Dine - Dive - then Dine again!! And you still managed to get in more than 2 hours of bottom time. Now that's what I call a dive plan!!!:D

Didn't have to share the dive with anyone else either, although parking at the Whiskey was difficult due to the all the beach-goers on Spring Break. None of them ventured past the surfline :)

I was up early on Saturday, up at 5AM and out the door shortly afterwards.

Let me see if I got this right. You say you got skunked at Bahama bobs then went and bounced some shots off sheepsheads all the while missing a flounder that was just sitting there looking at you. Now as all this was going on you where mesmerized by a couple of cute spear guns? Dang it sounds like I missed some fun!!

No cobia sightings yet? They say their starting to run the second sandbar now

Yeah, sheep were skittish, so I couldn't get up on them enough for the pole to get any penetration. I knifed a flounder on the jetties though, some bigger flatties over there at the moment..

Boats are running the sanbars looking for them(Cobia), I'm guessing they're seeing them as there are alot of em running.

Even when they are running full bore across the sandbars, its still rare when you're actually in the water with them on the Whiskey when they pass. Far from a sure thing. I only heard reports of seeing them twice last year across the Whiskey. God knows I dive that site more than anyone and I didn't see any.

An absolutely fantastic dive! One of Sheepshead that SuPrBuGmAn bounced his pole off of was actually hit by kylepried in the gill plate prior to the bounce, but the spear did not penetrate either, I missed it with my Tonka spear gun but it foolishly came back at which time I managed to nail it. Tough Sheepshead and the largest of the day. Any more hits on that sucker and it could have been simply been picked up off of the bottom!

Again a big Kudo to SuPrBuGmAn for his tour guide skills and both the Jetties and Hooters! Now if we can just get him to come up here and dive some cold water for some Cats.

P.S. kylepried will have the USS Oriskany write up later this week, Heather is still in the hospital recovering from kidney surgery. Keep her in your prayers. I will have some pictures posted in my gallery in the next day or so.
:monkeydan

It would be ndndiver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom