Whiskey Wreck 10-24-6 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I met up with Bill L. infront of Bahama Bobs tonight for a dive. It was nearly as cold as yesterday, but still a bit chilly after the dive. Water still looked clear from the surface and it was a bit choppier in the gulf, still no surf to speak of, just not as glassy as yesterday.

We hit the Whiskey with ~10' visibility. Bill's computer read 73F, but I think its reading a bit low. The surf from last week has really washed out quite a few of the areas on the Whiskey - I can't believe it, but even more wreck is exposed than before! The max depth hasn't really changed, but the bottom interior of the hull has somewhat leveled out and the outside of the port, starboard, and stern hulls have been washed up. You can see where the sand had been at the rudder, the bottom now sits about 2.5' lower. The hull and ballast stones are now visible west of the main hulk of the wreck and extend upwards 3-4' at parts adding another 30-40' length to the wreckage. We didn't see many flounder, only 3, one was decently sized - surely over 3lbs. I shot 2, including the big one, and Bill shot a single flounder. Lots of rays, spades, octopus(they really are everywhere), nudibranch's, pigfish, ect. I wore a 3mm this time so I kepth warm over the 77 minute dive. Max depth of 18'. Had a great dive as always, with an added bonus of more wreck than 2 weeks ago :D

Mat412.jpg

This also made my 300th dive :)

Nice fish Mat.
When's supper?
Congrats on your 300th! That's great!
Rick :D

Matt I would guess most of us hate the lost of your camera. I for one sure miss
seeing your underwater shots. Heck of a fish you got there. The water seems to be cooling fast this year.

tom wicker:
Matt I would guess most of us hate the lost of your camera. I for one sure miss
seeing your underwater shots.

When I got home last night, I found UPS had paid me a visit. I'm now the happy owner of an Olympus E330 dSLR and a 14-45mm zoom(I already have the 8mm fisheye, 11-22, 50mm macro, 55-200mm for my E1 with the same mount). This camera will eventually go underwater with me, I just need to buy the uber expensive dSLR UW housing first :crush: Expect UW photos again in 2007 - ack!

Great report Mat and congrats on the 300th dive! I'm only 290 dives behind you! I'll catch up, maybe, soon or later. :)

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom