Whidbey Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George Scherman

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks to all on the recommendations for Hood Canal. It looks like now we also be on Whidbey Island near Langley or Freeport. A motel staffer mentioned diving nearby but had no specifics. Anyone familiar with Whidbey?

Keystone Jetty is a small dive site but actually quite good for octopus among other things. The problem with it is that it is current sensitive and when the current is good (this Saturday for example) it will probably be crowded.

Langely has an artificial reef composed of tires. Visibility can be poor but every once in a while it is very good. This site is not current sensitive and can be dived just about anytime.

Deception Pass is one of the better dive sites but is extremely current sensitive (understatement) and Summer is not a good time to dive it due to lower vis, boat traffic and generally greater current flows.

I will be in the area in October. Other than the jetty, and Deception pass, are there any other dive sites within an hour of Oak Harbor. Any Dive operations to contact? The last time we were there (2001), the dive store at Oak Harbor was no help at all. We are both experienced divers (2000+ dives each). Visiting family and want to dive for a day or two. Any information would be welcome.

eelpout:
I will be in the area in October. Other than the jetty, and Deception pass, are there any other dive sites within an hour of Oak Harbor. Any Dive operations to contact? The last time we were there (2001), the dive store at Oak Harbor was no help at all. We are both experienced divers (2000+ dives each). Visiting family and want to dive for a day or two. Any information would be welcome.
Drive north of Whidbey Island to Anacortes (not too far from Oak Harbor). There's one awesome dive site there ... Skyline Wall (aka Burrows Passage). Stop by Anacortes Diving and Supply for info on the site ... it's their "office". There are also a couple of excellent charters that operate out of Anacortes ...

http://www.lujacsquest.com/

http://www.deepseacruise.com/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would suggest that for the visiting but experienced diver with a narrow window of opportunity to dive and not wanting to waste it on mediocre shore dives, going the charter boat route would be best. Book ahead.

Skyline is good but can be low viz and is also current sensitive. It needs to be dived on the neap tide which for October would mean the 10th-12th & 23th-25th. As Bob suggested check with Anacortes Dive for times as the current at the dive site is paradoxical and timing is important.

Thanks for all the input and the links to the dive operators. Now I just have to figure out how much weight I will need with my drysuit in saltwater. It has been 15 years since I had a drysuit in the ocean. Looking forward to some cold/ocean diving.

Jim

Jim.... IMO, being current with coldwater diving and especially drysuit use, are pre-requisites for diving off the charter boats in that area. If you don't have an opportunity before your trip to at least do some drysuit diving then you need to make your first dives here shore dives... again just my opinion... but I think that it is good advice.

Thanks for the advice. I just got done teaching 4 people how to dive with drysuits. We do 80% of our diving in drysuits. I will probably try a shore dive when I get to the area for one afternoon just to see how much weight I really need. I haven't worn a weightbelt with my drysuit in the last 3 years. Diving with twin 95 Fabers give me enough weight to eliminate a weightbelt.

What will be strange is having to rinse my drysuit after a dive. All of our diving is in fresh water lakes/quarries, water is usually clean enough to just hang our suits without a rinse.

What will the water temp be like around that time of the year. We all dive with dry gloves over here. Do I need to bring them?

Jim

eelpout:
We do 80% of our diving in drysuits. I will probably try a shore dive when I get to the area for one afternoon just to see how much weight I really need.
What will the water temp be like around that time of the year. We all dive with dry gloves over here. Do I need to bring them?

Jim
Sounds like you're good to go with the exception of the weight check! Water temp. should be around 47F~50F and yes, if you have drygloves bring them. Wetgloves would do but it is so much nicer having warm dry hands IMO.

Rinsing the gear is a fact of life here but if I'm doing back to back days (even a whole week's worth) I don't bother rinsing but just leave the gear wet.

Back
Top Bottom