Which Zeagle Model to Choose???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdrcva42

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have my AOW, getting wreck card this summer, have 50+ dives. I do most dives in Dutch Springs quarry and NJ wrecks. I will be going to Moorhead City, NC this summer to see new wrecks. I am picking up new steel single tanks next month and will back this up with a pony bottle when diving NC.
I am 58, 6' and around 200 lbs.
I want to trade in my old Forte Aeon for quality and am looking at the Ranger. I have read a lot of posts here and am looking for qualified opinions on which way to turn.
Thank you all in advance.
Scott - I am looking for you input please.

Peter

You don't need that much wing for singles..even steels with a pony. I dive double steels with a AL40 deco bottle on a BP/W and there is plenty of wing. Unless there is a specific reason that you want the Ranger, buy something with less lift.

Any of the Zeagle BC's would be a good choice. I started out with the Brigade but soon went to a plate and wing (BP/W). Still dive the Brigade from time to time though.

I have been using the Ranger Ltd for 2 years and I love it. The addition of the storage zippers under the wing are a nice addition on this model. Just make sure you either buy or get one that comes with the trim weight pouches for the back.

I have my AOW, getting wreck card this summer, have 50+ dives. I do most dives in Dutch Springs quarry and NJ wrecks. I will be going to Moorhead City, NC this summer to see new wrecks. I am picking up new steel single tanks next month and will back this up with a pony bottle when diving NC.
I am 58, 6' and around 200 lbs.
I want to trade in my old Forte Aeon for quality and am looking at the Ranger. I have read a lot of posts here and am looking for qualified opinions on which way to turn.
Thank you all in advance.
Scott - I am looking for you input please.

Peter

I actually dive a ranger ltd, and it is a great bc. very comfortable. very durable and reliable. Nice features. Having said that, I have made a recent change to a bp/w. Not because I didn't like the ranger, but be cause I started diving a dry suit and it required 30 lbs with my ranger. By moving to the bp/w, I was able to cut that in half. The bp/w has definitely become the bc of choice, but there are still many divers that use and are faithful to the back inflate or jacket style bc.

Since most of my diving is cold water diving, I will continue to dive the bp/w and either keep the ranger as a backup or use it when I go to warmer waters.

My recommendation would be to try them both before making a final decision. Everyone has their preferences, but I can tell you that most people on this board are going to direct you to the bp/w (at least from what I have seen). But it really comes down to personal preference. And by no means is hte Ranger a bad BC.

And if you decide you are really interested in the Ranger, gimme a shout. I have a 2009 LTD w/ Octo-Z I might be able to get you a good deal on. :D

You don't need that much wing for singles..even steels with a pony.

That is not completely true. Especially with integrated weights. Between the 30lbs of lead, the steel tank, etc. The wing was the perfect size to maintain buoyancy of the rig when I was donning/doffing in water (when I could not provide extra lift with my suit). If I were to offload the lead to a belt, then then you are correct, wing would be too big for the rig.

Back
Top Bottom