Which wing to choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was another thought I had, I just figured that “he’ll ive got two backplates, might as well have 2 wings”. Plus it gives me one I could loan out if need be.

To be honest, the only reason I even have two plates anymore is because my double hose has a dedicated plate that's specifically designed for double hose regulators. I used to have 2 steels and an aluminum and my aluminum double hose and had dedicated setups but it became annoying because I'd inevitably end up with too many configurations, even though I was trying to standardize one plate per configuration. That worked great until I wanted to dive AL80 doubles in a wetsuit, or a rebreather in a wetsuit, or a single in a drysuit, or a...., or a...., or a.....

Now the steel is for doubles and rebreather, always in a drysuit, the aluminum plate for my double hose is mated to my 18# wing for singles. That's it. So I gave the aluminum and one steel away and have been happy ever since.

That doesn't mean that's the path you should follow. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your logic at all. And there's not a lick of difference between donut and horseshoe in practical use. I prefer donuts because they tend to be a little narrower, but that's just me being nitpicky. At this point you could just sell the 44#'er and be done with it. You've got the rest of your bases covered. And as long as you can undo a couple sex bolts, or undo a cam band, there's no reason that you can't mix and match whenever you want. Put a set of straps on each and just undo and pull the wing off.

Outside of some extremely weird single tank diving, I can't think of a reason to need a 44lb wing. I have a 23 from VDH and an aluminum backplate and I have used that safely and effectively for everything from carrying an aluminum 80 while training in the pool (no additional weights or wetsuit) to diving Santa Catalina late last month with a Worthington steel LP 85 and 12 additional pounds to help sink my head to toe 7 mm. And that water was choppy as hell - the boat captain almost called the first dive for us because of the conditions.

Oxycheq Mach 5 fan here. 800 dives on it. Some 4000 dives total. Some minor fading, but I figure it will eventually look like my faded jeans before it wears out lol . I just love the streamlined design of the wing.

Back
Top Bottom