Which/what type of BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These people are cheap for dive rite stuff: (link is a bit dodgy on my computer)

http://www.diveatlantis.net/technical.html

Transpacs often come second hand on ukdiving.co.uk and Aquarius in didcot (my local) usually have one or two in their used bin. Personally I think a metal backplate is better (and cheaper) but this is a personal thing.

I think Portland oceaneering will let you try Halcyon stuff before you buy.

The Diverite Travel wing is optomized for singles and is not intended for doubles. It has an elastic outer cover and only 30# of lift. The advantage is that it is very streamlined in the water and packs small. There is something about the design that avoids the feeling of being pushed forward at the surface. There is a review (several years old) at www.divernet.com

The Travel wing has a square shape which allows air to flow around in it. There is no need to do contortions when venting air. There is no tank wrap (taco) because of its design.

However, if you intend to dive doubles right away, the other wings are better. The limited lift of the travel wing is probably OK with a drysuit, but may not be enough with heavy wetsuits (2 piece 7 mil), something to consider. I don't dive anywhere that gets real cold, so the travel wing is enough for me. I don't use their weight pouches.

Remember diving doubles is not just going down with two tanks. The applications that need twin tanks usually require special training, other technical gear, and helium mixes. An extra wing or that is dedicated to doubles, will be the least of your problems. Buy what you need to be comfortable for the diving you will do most now, and don't go nuts over all the possibilities.

a 5mm twopiece (shorty over full suit), and as I said hopefully Dry suit soon, so it sounds like the travel wing should be enough. Thanks for the tips, it will be a while before I need anything more.

The dive atlantis site looks good and brings the cost down a bit.

According to the site it would be £142 for the harness, £123 for the wings, £32 for the weight pockets, giving a total of £297, which seems pretty good. Is this all I need for the system ?

Conor, that is a complete system. The weight pockets are optional. As mentioned above, I don't use them. I have a pair of Halcyon trim pockets that cost $21. One is on my upper tank strap as a trim weight. The other is used as a low capacity (5# max) integrated weight pocket on the left side of the Transpac waist belt. On the right side of the waist belt I slide on a single lead block. This gives me a 15 or 16# capacity integrated weight system with trim. Last time I used it was with 3 equal 1.5 kg weights in Australia, but my normal setup would be a 4# on the tank and a pair of 3# weights on the waist belt with a 3 mill full suit.

Check with the dealer as to whether 30# of lift is enough with a double 5mm. I could do it, but a large man who needs a lot of lead might not.

You might start with a weight belt and experiment.

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
although I think that [a backplate and wing] can be used it's a lousy choice for tropical recreational diving...
Wow. I'm glad that I already dove Cozumel with a backplate and wing before reading this post! Otherwise I would have known that the uncluttered, hydrodynamic and easy diving I was doing was actually "lousy."

From Cozumel to Cave to ice, I dive a BP and wing. It's not technical gear, it's simply BETTER gear than the recreational gear that's available. In ANY environment.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
From Cozumel to Cave to ice, I dive a BP and wing. It's not technical gear, it's simply BETTER gear than the recreational gear that's available. In ANY environment.

Roak

I agree with Roakey. I also dive only a BP/wing in any environment, any level of diving. Its simple, clean, easy to use and to carry. No drawbacks in my opinion.

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...

I also dive only a BP/wing in any environment, any level of diving. Its simple, clean, easy to use and to carry. No drawbacks in my opinion.

Tom
I did OW and the first forty-something dives with a Balance BC, I liked it, I just wanted more control over d-ring placement (needed a place to clip my reel) and to replace the air-trapping horseshoe shaped bladder with a doughnut. So, I recently switched to a BP&Ws.

There were several drawbacks:

1. It was time consuming to initially set up. The adjustment took me several nights of putting it on making an adjustment taking it off, repeat. This compares with taking a Balance out of the box pulling the four straps tight and you’re ready to go. Now that it’s adjusted I like the BP&W much better, the d-rings are where I want them not where they looked good on the SeaQuest model.

2. It took some getting use to. I was to the point with the Balance that I did most things such as adding or dumping air subconsciously. Now with a new BC things moved and I have to think about it; in time I’m sure I’ll become just as comfortable with the BP&W. The change would be even bigger had I been using a jacket style rather than a back inflation BC.

These minor drawbacks are nothing in comparison to the benefits. I think that anyone that is willing to spend the time to work with a BP&W will agree. But unlike those of us that like to play with new gear and work at buoyancy control some divers just want to go site seeing diving and a traditional BC is fine for that IMO.

Mike

roakey once bubbled...
Wow. I'm glad that I already dove Cozumel with a backplate and wing before reading this post! Otherwise I would have known that the uncluttered, hydrodynamic and easy diving I was doing was actually "lousy."
Roak
Well, Roak, y'see, I actually own a BP/Wing, and a Transpac, and a couple of jackets. I use 'em all, and to me the BP sucks in the tropics with a single 80. It's a pain to pack, a pain to rig (as I have it rigged for doubles), puts the tank further away from my back than I like (no, I don't have to use a STA; I have a FredT with cam slots), is lousy trim compared to my little Explorer or my Transpac (with a single 80) and it's another six pounds I don't need to carry on the plane. I wouldn't challenge your happiness with the thing for anything in the world, and I won't suggest you try anything else. But I've been tryin' 'em for a long, long time, and I know what I like and what I don't. And I do not like a BP with a single 80. Not at all.
Rick :)

MikeS once bubbled...
There were several drawbacks:

true Mike, there are real issues. I think though, that they're much like the issues one would have on buying a new bicycle, they're basically one-time issues.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom