Which/what type of BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conor

Reaction score
Hi

I am at the point of buying my first BC and have been reading some of the threads in this section in order to get a better idea.

As a newby(20ish dives) I have only so far done warm water dives with loan jacket style BCDs, mostly Mares. I haven't really had a opportunity to try different types and configurations. having had quite crap loan equipment I would like to get my own.

The types of diving I can see myself doing will include wreck diving and in the near future I want to try UK dry suit diving. What I am sure of is that I'll continue to do 2 or 3 warm water trips a year. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up doing technical diving at some point in the future. In terms of training I am hoping to do Rescue soon and later next year DM (for the training rather than for a career).

So could anyone point me in the right direction for some information that can help me decide on at least the most appropriate type for the type of diving I expect to be doing ? What are the pros and cons of the different types ? Which type will give me the most flexibility for the types of diving I may be doing ?

I find myself in a position where I want to get my own equipment, but an concerned that I may spend a considerable amount of money buying something that I either don't use, or proves to be unsuitable for the types of diving I'll do in the future.

Any help or directions would be appreciated

Conor

This board is generally pro backplate and wing. It is a very flexible set-up that will grow as your diving progresses.

You can get a good deal on a backplate at www.backplates.co.uk or Portland oceaneering.

Webbing and stuff can be bought from most decent dive shops.

Halcyon wings are popular but in the UK diverite ones are much cheaper.

If you get an aluminium plate as well then its great for travelling too.

I can't believe it! Here's a circumstance when I'm going to recommend a BP/Wing setup first! Your UK diving ambitions point directly at the BP/Wing, which, although I think that even though it can be used it's a lousy choice for tropical recreational diving, is far better than any jacket style for drysuit technical diving with big doubles.
If you want an incremental approach, I'd recommend a Transpac II with travel wing to start, then buying Rec or Classic wings when you move on to doubles - realizing that you'll likely go the full BP/Wing route eventually.
Rick

I see a patern forming already. Can you elaborate on why a bp/wing is lousy for tropical diving ?

And what are the down sides to this combination ? There must be some, other wise all UK divers would be using them.

Thanks again

Conor

Conor wrote...
I see a patern forming already. Can you elaborate on why a bp/wing is lousy for tropical diving ?
I don't consider it to be. Some people report chafing problems with no exposure protection, others report none. Question is: how much do you dive bare or with only a T-shirt?

I always wear at least a 3mm suit against all the little stinging nasties, and for keeping warm on multiple dives. Never had any sort of chafing problem in the water.

Chafing under the arms is definitely a problem in warm water. Some can get by with a 3 mil, I had a case of sore armpits in a 3/2. I know lots of people who dive tropical in skins, t-shirts, polartecs and .5 mil neoprene.

As Rick M. noted backplates are a good choice for heavy doubles. Just look at the design of the BP. It has a ridge in the center that goes up between the tanks. The bolts from the bands have a solid place to fix to and the wingnuts hide in the ridge. However, when diving a single tank this ridge works against the diver as it places the tank further away from the diver's back. Add another half inch for a single tank adaptor. Having the tank far away from one's back increases the tendancy to roll over when the tank is full and push one forward on the surface when empty if using an aluminum tank.

It is not all that easy to adjust the straps on a backplate. This can be a problem when switching from a drysuit to warm water exposure protection.

The design of the harness for a BP requires a crotch strap, perhaps you don't mind that.

By the way, how many divers did you see using backplates on your warm water trips?

My vote is for a transpac 2. It avoids all of the above problems and could be used with light doubles. However, you might take a look at the Buddy Travel Wing (might not have the name exactly right). It's a plastic backpack, harness and a small wing that is designed mainly for singles. There is a write-up on it at www.divernet.com in a survey of BC's. It looks interesting, but it is not easily available over here in the US.

If you use a Transpac II with travel wing for your tropical travels, and remove the padded back support (not needed for singles) you'll have a BC you can pack, along with regulator, mask, tropical skin or half-mil suit, bathing suit and booties... and a change of T-shirt & shorts - in your carry-on luggage. (If your checked baggage gets lost you'll still have to bum or buy some fins, but that's a heck of a lot easier than a BC).
I absolutely despise using a backplate with a single tank. Puts the tank and valve further away from me than I'll tolerate.
E. itajara

leadweight wrote...
As Rick M. noted backplates are a good choice for heavy doubles. Just look at the design of the BP. It has a ridge in the center that goes up between the tanks. The bolts from the bands have a solid place to fix to and the wingnuts hide in the ridge. However, when diving a single tank this ridge works against the diver as it places the tank further away from the diver's back. Add another half inch for a single tank adaptor. Having the tank far away from one's back increases the tendancy to roll over when the tank is full and push one forward on the surface when empty if using an aluminum tank.
I agree with the roll over part, but never noticed a problem on the surface. I'd simply inflate my BC and kick back into the easy chair position. OTOH, I never tried it with little air in the BC. Is that the scenario you had in mind? Or maybe we're talking about different brands?

One advantage of the way the tank is mounted to the BP is that it is extremely stable....no flopping around like I've experienced with some other BCs.

By the way, the new Halcyon wings don't use STAs, so the profile is lower, and the roll tendency reduced. The tank is just as secure, however.

leadweight wrote...
It is not all that easy to adjust the straps on a backplate. This can be a problem when switching from a drysuit to warm water exposure protection.
Does this happen to you often? I switch between drysuit and 3mm frequently, but I've never noticed any problem of this sort.

leadweight wrote...
The design of the harness for a BP requires a crotch strap, perhaps you don't mind that.
'Requires' might be too strong a term. I know of one guy who dives without the strap, and I believe his wife does too. That's not my preference, though.

leadweight wrote...
By the way, how many divers did you see using backplates on your warm water trips?
It depends on how you count such things, I guess, and if you're paying much attention to others' gear. On the backpacker boats where everyone rented BCs, it was zero by necessity. Elsewhere: few in the early days, before BPs gained much exposure in the rec market, more later. I've mostly been diving cold the last couple years, though. I know of one recent liveaboard filled with rec divers, 80% of whom were using BPs.

Met, it is just like magic.

No adjustments, no crotch strap and the thing is still perfect and holds the tank securely, as if nothing else did.

Conor,

The best advice that I can give to anyone contemplating the purchase of a backplate is to try one out, even if it is only in a pool. The feel of a backplate/harness is very different from anything else.

I too read many posts in this forum extolling the virtues of backplates. Prior to renting one from my LDS I was pre sold and ready to plunk down $555 plus 8.25% sales tax for a Halcyon SS BP with a 36# Pioneer wing. After 2 dives in fresh (73f) and 10 in salt (82f) water, all single tank, I hated it.

A week after the BP rental experience I purchased a Transpac II and travel wing, and I love it.

I haven't seen anyone using backplates on my warmwater trips, but this could just have been I didn't notice, most were using rental equipment.

I have had a look at the dive rite stuff and must admit it does seem right up my street. A couple of questions though;

For more or less the same price you can get the travel, rec or trec wings, and the latter two seem able to take single or double cylinders, so what is the benefit of the travel wing ?

Although I can see the benefit of the modular system, the cost does seem to mount up, especially when you add the weight pouches etc, have any of the UK divers got any reccomendations of shops etc where I could go to keep the cost down ?

I would really like the opportunity to try before I buy, does anyone have any reccomendations of how I could get to try one of these ?

Halcyon doesn't seem that much more expensive, which model would you reccomend from their range ?

Thanks again for all the help

Back
Top Bottom