Which wetnotes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xiSkiGuy:
It looks like the Golem Notes and the Salvo are very similar or perhaps the same with different labels. The Salvo does include a double ender in the price (or at least mine did).

Indeed, if you look closely at the Salvo picture, you'll see a poor photoshop job over where the Golem logo would be in the Golem picture :huh:

rhlee:
Indeed, if you look closely at the Salvo picture, you'll see a poor photoshop job over where the Golem logo would be in the Golem picture :huh:
Actually, those are two different pictures (compare them and see for yourself).

Chances are they both purchase their wetnotes from the same OEM, and that happens to be where the OEM puts the logo for whomever places the order ...

... Bob (Grateful DIver)

my bad. you're right... for one thing, one shows 2 pencils and the other only one.

Anyway, back on topic... xiSkiguy, are you happy with your Salvo notes?

I have the Ritchie's (inexpensive, but you get what you pay for), and the Golem. My buddy just bought the Halcyon and I must say, for $10 more bucks, I wish I went that route. The clear pockets are a nice addition as is the bookmark.

rhlee:
xiSkiguy, are you happy with your Salvo notes?
I've only had them since October, but I like them quite a bit. Although, it is my first set of wetnotes that has a cordura cover, so I don't have much to compare it to.

I started with the Richie WetNotes. Went with the Halcyon. I like the Halcyon much better. The pages seem to turn much easier than with the spiral or plastic spine binding. I also tuck a mil spec signal mirror in the pocket inside the back cover of the H wetnotes. I suspect the H wetnotes will work well for me for the rest of the years I will be diving.

We're talking a relatively small difference in price here. Get something that will last.

You can get the X-Notes for $35 ($5 less) at 5thD-X (you can't see, but it's the same thing, or at least, that's the very notebook they sent me when I ordered):

http://5thdx.purehost.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_7_47&products_id=68

I bought these, and like them a lot. They do have an elastic band for a bookmarker, by the way. Not thick bungie like the H notes, but if that bothers you it's easily fixed by a friend with a sewing machine and under $1 worth of bungie.

I had Dive-wRites before (very similar to the Richies pictured in the post above), and while the pages themselves work just fine, I wasn't happy with the cheap vinyl cover and lack of any good way to keep the pencil tucked in. The X-notes are a very nice upgrade, without becoming absurdly expensive.

I guess the H notes have one or two more features than the X-notes, but not much, not enough to justify the extra money. I'm sorry, but I just can't justify spending $50 or so on a freaking pad of paper to write on. It's not life-saving equipment like my regs, and frankly doesn't offer enough advantage over the $35 X notes to justify the "H". I'm was happier spending the $15 on the Dive-wRites, but could see the value of an upgrade to the $35 version... I guess going up to $50 is over my limit. Not like I can't afford it, I just don't see an extra $15 in value, and don't like encouraging rampant over-pricing from Halcyon when I can avoid it.

CompuDude:
They do have an elastic band for a bookmarker, by the way. Not thick bungie like the H notes, but if that bothers you it's easily fixed by a friend with a sewing machine and under $1 worth of bungie.

No, that is to hold the book closed. Halcyon has that also (the bungee you are talking about). The bookmark is not included on the x-notes.

Jason B:
CompuDude:
They do have an elastic band for a bookmarker, by the way. Not thick bungie like the H notes, but if that bothers you it's easily fixed by a friend with a sewing machine and under $1 worth of bungie.
No, that is to hold the book closed. Halcyon has that also (the bungee you are talking about). The bookmark is not included on the x-notes.
No, I'm pretty sure it's not.

There is a horizontal elastic band used to hold the book closed. In addition, there is a vertical elastic band that runs along the spine (and inside the book). This is pretty useless to keep the book closed, but works just great as a bookmark. I strongly suspect that is the use it was intended for. You can actually see both elastic bands (horizontal and vertical) in the big picture on the Dive-X site.
xnotes300.jpg

Thanks for all the input. I decided to pony up for H ones, and called to order them from Extreme Exposure and was offered 2 blemished ones for $35/per. As it was explained to me, the 'blemish' was imperfect placement/stitching on the logo. So the 'H' won't be true and blue, but I think I'll manage for a $15/per savings.

Back
Top Bottom