Which way to the Maldives???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings, all -

Being in Colorado, and thinking of future dive trips, I started pondering which way we go to get to the Maldives from here. Is it Los Angeles, then Hong Kong or Singapore, then on to the Maldives? Or is it somewhere on the US east coast, then somewhere in Europe, and on to the final destination? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi highdesert,
out of personal preference, I'd take LAX->SIN->MLE on SQ.
I like the airlines services, and Changi Airport (Singapore) is well designed with lots of shops and restaurants to pass the time.
Other options may be LAX->NRT->MLE, using UL (Air Lanka) on the second leg.

I agree with Super 7.
But like to add up Malaysia Airlines LAX/KUL/MLE.

The other option is with Emirates. But I suppose traveling time will be more as Emirates operates via Dubai to Maldives.

Go to one of the Internet-based travel reservation website and find out
which route (east or west) is the cheapest. It depends mainly on time of the year.
I recommend kayak.com, orbitz.com, expedia.com.......
If you do not care about ticket price, go to LA and fly Singapore Airlines, one of the best if not the best as far as service is concerned.
I fly frequently and in the past 7-8 years I purchased all my tickets on line.
Good luck

Hmmm,
I will suggest going East accross the states and fly into London. From London you could catch numerous charter flights which fly frequently and are very very cheap compared to scheduled airlines. However if you go down this route be aware of baggage allowance. From London you can fly direct to Male or you could go via Sri Lanka (Colombo), Kenya, South Africa and of course Dubai. Time wise I am not sure whether any route is better, it all depends on the schedules I guess.

A good suggestion for cheap flights is to visit: AirNinja.com

If you opt for the other way round than I suggest going via Bangkok / Singapore.

Have a fab time in the Maldives but chose your resort / liveaboard carefully. If chosing a resort make sure there are good sites within a reasonable travel time from your resort and see if the house reef is rated good or not. There are now many many liveaboards in the Mlaldives and some will promise you everything you could ever wish to tick off your list, but it will never happen. The better liveaboards move with the seasons, others stay near to North Atoll or Ari Atoll.

facesofthesea
Stay in Style - Dive in Style

Reading the posts suggesting the eastwise course, it came to mind that I forgot to mention that most flights from Asian countries arrive late in the evening. On the other hand, many, if not all, flights from Europe arrive in daytime.

If your vacation is short, the arrival time in MLE may be crucial because seaplanes stay grounded after sundown. If your arrival is after nightfall, you may have to spend a night in the vicinity of the airport, or take a 15min dhoni trip to the capital, Male = 1 less night in the resort/dive boat (meaning no beer!:shakehead:)

Some resorts in the north/south Male atolls are accessed via speed boats/yachtes and can be reached in 30~60min, weather permitting, while other resorts involve taking the local flight to more remote atolls (night flights available) and then speed boats to reach the resort. The local airline (Maldivian Air) has a baggage allowance of 15kgs, but I have yet to hear them implement any surcharges.

Most other resorts are reached by seaplane, operated by either Maldivian Air Taxi or Trans Maldivian Airways. Flying on the Twin Otter may be scenic, but quite loud.

Kaza

Last edited:
Thanks all ... still just a long-range plaqn, but I'll pursue your suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom