Which wax would work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
What wax would work best on my drysuit zipper? Some waxs boast that they contain no parrafin. I always thought that parrafin was wax.

Is there anything that I should avoid. The girl at the dive shop told me to use bees wax.

Thanks
Mike

I use bee's wax.
Rick

When I got my dry suit, a small tube came along with it. I was told to use bees wax when it was finished

Several mfgs make wax. And if you don't like that, bees wax seems to be the general wax of choice. The only criteria I have is that the wax is not too soft or gummy.

~SubMariner~

I use beeswax and avoid paraffin.

As it was explained to me, paraffin is a by-product of petroleum production. High quality stuff maybe fine, but much of the paraffin in this world is designed for use in applications like candle-making, foot-soaking and other new-age exotica. The quality is inconsistent and there are often perfumes and other contaminants added. All of which cause nasty things to happen to drysuits.

Then again, maybe my LDS is a front for the beekeepers association?

:wink: Just kidding....

But I only do it every so often...

Keeping them clean is more important in my book...

And I have always wondered about that soft beezwax....

How much sand, grit and grime does it attract????

my drysuit repair-man gave me a blogk of paraffin wax that is used for canning food. it has lasted over a year and will probally last another year. i dive a lot and waw my zipper 3-4 times a week.the zipper is still in great shape,so i say paraffin is o.k.(and cheap) just make sure you clean your zipper reguarlly !!

san diego diver:
my drysuit repair-man gave me a blogk of paraffin wax that is used for canning food. it has lasted over a year and will probally last another year. i dive a lot and waw my zipper 3-4 times a week.the zipper is still in great shape,so i say paraffin is o.k.(and cheap) just make sure you clean your zipper reguarlly !!

To expand on this thread a bit, what's the best way to clean a DS zipper?

Paraffin is a petroleum distillate. If you buy it at the supermarket (get the type used to seal jelly jars), it is relatively free of additives, since it's meant to be in contact with food.

If you're British, don't use paraffin to lubricate your zipper, as to a Britishperson, paraffin is a liquid fuel used in jet aircraft.

For non-British bicyclists (especially in dry areas), paraffin wax is one of the preferred chain lubricants, as it doesn't pick up dirt/dust/etc.

Beeswax tends to be softer than paraffin wax.

Carnauba wax (most often used as furniture or car wax) is harder than either beeswax or paraffin, and can also be used as a lubricant. (I apply a thin coat of Carnauba wax on the ways of a wood lathe, for example). At room temperature, beeswax is a better lubricant than paraffin wax, which is a better lubricant than Carnauba (better is defined as lower friction).

Carnauba is of vegetable origin; beeswax of animal origin, and I suppose you could say paraffin is of dead dinosaur origin :wink: (mineral, if you must).

All petroleum distillates will damage latex rubber to some degree. Synthetic rubbers (e.g. neoprene) are more resistant to petroleum products. All waxes (and oils, whether animal, vegetable, or mineral) shed water. Some animal and vegetable-based waxes (and oil) are actually fatty acid esters, and can cross-link or go rancid on you with age. Most (if not all) mineral-based oils & waxes will keep forever.

That said, if you buy a pound of paraffin at the supermarket, and you only use it to lubricate zippers, it will last you until you misplace the wax!

Back
Top Bottom