Which valve do you recommend for back-mounted pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I have been thinking long and hard about what valve to purchase for use with a 19 cu ft pony tank and Scubapro MK17 first stage (DIN). Since this will be my first pony setup, I can't figure out which valve I need, though. Here is the problem: I want to wear the pony strapped to my main tank, upside down, second stage bungeed around neck. The valve needs to be accessible by reaching back with my right hand. Since I will be solo diving, I am concerned about hoses sticking out and posing an entanglement hazard. The question is: Do I need a "regular" tank valve that has the knob on the left if you look into the valvle outlet, or do I need a reversed valve with the knob on the opposite side? Or, to phrase the question this way: Do I want the first stage and hoses pointing toward the back of my BC bladder or do I want them to point them away from it? I'm diving a Cressi BC, whose bladder "wraps" around the main tank, especially when full, so that might be a reason to have the pony reg and hoses stick away from the BC rather than poking into it. But maybe this is not an issue really? People's experiences will be greatly appreciated.

(Note: While I realize that there are other, advantageous gear configurations, I ask to hold back suggestions such as "Get a BP/W," "sling the pony" etc. because there are specific reasons why I will use this particular config and those considerations were covered in previous threads)

I usually use my pony reg just as you describe (upside down). I use a standard valve and have no issues with locating and openning/closing the valve. I am using a MK 25 1st rotated so the LP hose goes straight up and then over my shoulder and then clip it off to a d-ring. I bungee my my octo from my primary reg.

Back
Top Bottom