Which treatment for jet fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a drysuit, be very careful with silicone oils. Once it is on something, it will not be possible to glue that area again, including replacing neoprene seals etc. Not likely to be an issue but worth remembering.

Not Jet Fins exactly, but I've been using some UV Tech on my hoses, mask straps, and Quattro+ fins with good results so far....

The only things you can do to maintain your fins are:
- Wash them with fresh water
- Store them in a proper position with nothing heavy on top which can alter the shape of the rubber.
- Do not leave them under the sun as UV rays do not get along with rubber.

Honestly, I am not sure if hanging them by the straps (for long periods) is a good idea as the weight of the fin could alter the shape of the rubber.
Hanging them puts the heel strap and buckle anchor rubber foot pocket side lugs under stress and leads to them cracking, so don't hang fins that are made of rubber as those parts have to bear their considerable weight.

I have seen some people put (melt?) a small hole towards the tip to clip and hang their fins, foot pocket down, for drying and storage. Never tried it though.....

I can't imagine it would affect the fins performance in the water....

Some Scubapro fins now have a molded elongated longitudinal hole in the blade tip, so it must be OK as it has been added there to hang the fins up on. Personally I would rather not have a hole as it could catch on something on the bottom and once I snagged my Jetfin on its side vent, but it let go almost immediately as I swept low over a jagged bit of hard coral.

I believe the best treatment for Jetfins is a trash can. I have tried them a couple of times and they were the most uncomfortable things that I have ever put on my feet. The foot pocket is just awful, I swear it was designed around a 2X4, no matter what size I tried it felt like my toes were the only thing supporting the fin. As for a more practical answer to the op's question I would just keep then out of UV rays, petroleum vapors and away from any ozone producing devices. With these precautions they should last until the next ice age.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom