Which suit to pack for Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaThor

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The Master Procrastinator (aka ME) needs your advice...leaving for Maui on Sunday...do I pack the 3 mil shorty or the 3 mil full length? I'm used to 70 degree quarry water....don't know what to bring and space might be tight. Any suggestions are more than welcome.
Thank you!

3 mil full length. The current temp of 76F or so will still drain a lot of heat from your body if you aren't properly insulated.

If you are finning a lot and doing short dives the 3 mil full will be enough.

Personally, I prefer a bit more and this morning's 85 minute dive was in a 5 mil full + beanie.

I'm a full length fan, but if you are doing a bunch of dives you really will need it, a shorty will get cold fast. And if room isnt an issue, maybe bring the shorty as well to put over the top for any night dives.

I know a couple that travel to Maui yearly. He takes a 3 mil fullsuit. She gets cold easier. She takes a 5 mil fullsuit.

Cheekymonkey:
....and if room isnt an issue, maybe bring the shorty as well to put over the top for any night dives.

Great suggestion. We had a WT of 73 this week (on Oahu) and top side has been "chilly" (for our standards) the past couple of days. Right now not much warmer than your quarry....brrr...

Thread Moved to the Hawaii Ohana forum :wink:

Long is never the wrong way to go (even for non-www's like us :wink:)...I've been in bad surges and currents and was happy to have a full suit protecting my arms and legs

If its a cloudy day ill go 3mm shorty. If its a normal day just board shorts and thermal top.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom