Which submersible dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... with 50% ndl <2hrs and 75% >2hrs surface intervals.

ScubaInChicago,

This is the first I've heard of this! Can't wait to check it against what the US Navy tables actually computes for repetitive dives. (I love having Q&D--quick and dirty--rules handy, just in case, like "Do all 20 fsw and 10 fsw air deco at 20 fsw on oxygen, and reduce the combined 20+10 fsw air deco time by one-third", a Q&D rule I learned many years ago for accelerated air deco dives.) Thanks.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

You seem really happy with using the U.S. Navy tables for repetitive diving, but you should be aware of the fact that its rules for repetitive diving were the primary reason that other tables were developed.

The rules for repetitive diving are based on clearing a selected theoretical compartment, and the Navy tables repetitive dive schedule was based on the compartment with a 120 minute half time. That decision was fairly arbitrary. Since it takes 6 half times to clear a compartment, you will see that the Navy tables wash out in 12 hours. That leads to very long surface interval requirements for repetitive diving. those long surface intervals were a problem for recreational diving operations wanting to do 2-tank dives.

In the ear;y 1980s, PADI's DSAT organization began research to try to determine what would be more suitable for the kinds of dives done by recreational divers rather than Navy divers. Their research was exhaustive. That research indicated that for the kind of no-decompression dives they were testing, the 40 minute compartment could be safely used to plan repetitive diving. They decided to be more conservative than that, though, so they had the 60 minute compartment guide the surface intervals, and to add another layer of conservancy, they shortened the first dive time limits.

Most dive computers today use algorithms that are more consistent with (or identical to) the PADI studies than the old Navy tables.

Thus, if you use the Navy tables or any other tables based on the Navy tables, as you seem to be insistent upon, you will find yourself having slightly longer NDLs for your first dives, but you will also have significantly longer surface intervals between dives than with the PADI tables or with any computer algorithm.

You seem really happy with using the U.S. Navy tables for repetitive diving.

boulderjohn,

Actually, I am interested in tables that have been verified using human subjects scientific testing. It makes little difference to me what underlying "model" (how many of what kinds of theoretical tissue compartments using which hypothetical decay rates) was used. I am more pragmatic than this. Hence, my interest in the DCIEM tables as well as the US Navy tables, as well as other tables--if they exist. Do you know if the PADI tables were verified using human subjects scientific testing?

Again, my OP is about where can I find some *flexible* submersible decompression tables to replace my nearly 30-year-old tables that have served me well but are beginning to disintegrate. I no longer do planned decompression dives. However, I do use tables to plan repetitive dives. The fact that my current tables are based on US Navy tables really is NOT important (to me) beyond the facts that the US Navy tables were verified using human subjects scientific testing (at least, this is my understanding) and have enjoyed a very long history of successful use by recreational scuba divers. Make sense?

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

o you know if the PADI tables were verified using human subjects scientific testing?
Yes, they were. It was to my knowledge the first use of Doppler bubble imaging in checking the test subjects following dives.

Yes, they were. It was to my knowledge the first use of Doppler bubble imaging in checking the test subjects following dives.

Thanks, boulderjohn. I am hoping to learn more about the PADI tables. There is some stuff on Rubicon that promises to inform. I hope to find peer-reviewed independent research that corroborates PADI's findings, as well.

Safe Diving,

Rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom